What to feed chickens during Pesach (Passover)

We are a long ways away from next pesach (Shana tovah, everyone!) but I've been thinking about this ahead of time. For waterfowl (ducks and geese), do you think a mix of cracked corn, sorghum, soybean meal, and fish meal would be ok?

Its a brief period, your birds should be ok regardless - but if you offer them those ingredients seperately , they should do a reasonable job of self regulating intake. Sorghum isn't a particularly good ingredient by raw numbers, but it seems to outperform the sum of its parts (slightly). Compared to corn, it has a little more protein, similar fiber, a little less fat, a bit less lysine, and a good bit more tryp, while providing similar useable energy (on average). Speculation is it has to do with some enzymes, but I wouldn't swear to that explanation.

Your soy meal and fish meal will both provide much more crude protein, and more than make up for the deficiencies in the proteins of either the corn or the sorghum (or both). The fish meal, however, you likely want to sprinkle over the other ingredients because it is so concentrated as a nutritional source. You offer oyster shell for calcium?

Its a brief period, your birds should be ok regardless - but if you offer them those ingredients seperately , they should do a reasonable job of self regulating intake. Sorghum isn't a particularly good ingredient by raw numbers, but it seems to outperform the sum of its parts (slightly). Compared to corn, it has a little more protein, similar fiber, a little less fat, a bit less lysine, and a good bit more tryp, while providing similar useable energy (on average). Speculation is it has to do with some enzymes, but I wouldn't swear to that explanation.

Your soy meal and fish meal will both provide much more crude protein, and more than make up for the deficiencies in the proteins of either the corn or the sorghum (or both). The fish meal, however, you likely want to sprinkle over the other ingredients because it is so concentrated as a nutritional source. You offer oyster shell for calcium?
This is very informative, thank you!! For calcium, ground egg shells would work as well, right?

This is very informative, thank you!! For calcium, ground egg shells would work as well, right?
temporarily, absolutely. Not a long term solution because no physical process is 100% efficient - some of the calcium the intake is "lost" along the way. They need another source (like their regular feed) or more egg shells than they themselves produce. But yes, egg shells are FINE. My ducks east most of the eggshells from my chickens, too. Have for years. (I don't even bother to crush/grind them)

Last edited:
and to provide context, for the length of Pesach, you could offer no calcium at all and your birds would suffer neither long nor short term effect - they'd take the tiny bit of calcium needed for shell production from their bones, then redposit it as soon as they had regular supply from their normal feed over a period of time. But if you have eggshells available to you, by all means, use them - save your duck's bodies that additional stress, however minor.

We are a long ways away from next pesach (Shana tovah, everyone!) but I've been thinking about this ahead of time. For waterfowl (ducks and geese), do you think a mix of cracked corn, sorghum, soybean meal, and fish meal would be ok?
Please educate me. What can they NOT have, and why? I asked this last year but nobody answered me.

Back
Top Bottom