What to feed chickens during Pesach (Passover)

Jews observing Passover. I'm familiar with the no leavening, not so much with avoiding certain grains.
Speaking out of an excess of ignorance, I believe the key is certain grains which have touched water. Because grains touching water - particularly in the time those rules were set down - were likely to sprout and/or ferment. But again, I am woefully ignorant on this topic, and could be entirely wrong in my historic speculations.

Leavened breads were usually made with a starter, and as anyone who maintains sourdough starter at home knows, it also ferments.

The interpretation of matters of faith is well beyond my expertise.

Speaking out of an excess of ignorance, I believe the key is certain grains which have touched water. Because grains touching water - particularly in the time those rules were set down - were likely to sprout and/or ferment. But again, I am woefully ignorant on this topic, and could be entirely wrong in my historic speculations.

The interpretation of matters of faith is well beyond my expertise.
Ah, that's helpful, thanks.

Jews observing Passover. I'm familiar with the no leavening, not so much with avoiding certain grains.
Found your previous post, you may have gotten this from the original thread info but it's not leavening, yeast, or fermentation that is forbidden -- it's products made from grains that have the potential to leaven (that have been exposed to water for more than 18 minutes before baking). Matzah is made specially from grain that has been kept dry, and is mixed and starts baking in under 18 minutes. There's five species of chametz, fully forbidden grains: wheat, rye, barley, oats, and spelt. These are impermissible both to eat and to own during Passover, regardless of your traditional background, and have to be disposed of or sold.

Some traditions (Ashkenazi most prominently) also hold that kitniyot, other grains such as rice, corn, beans, etc. should not be consumed, but do not have to be removed -- so you can still feed them to your animals during Passover.

Leavening agents, yeast, and other fermented foods are not forbidden -- if it was, there would be a big problem with the four cups of wine we drink during the Seder :)

The specifics of what is, and isn't kosher for Passover are fairly complex and vary with different traditions and denominations, along with the reasons for these restrictions. The story of honoring Jewish slaves escaping from Egypt who didn't have time to bake proper bread is a bit of a misconception, since the abstinence from leaven was instructed to start before the Exodus began. A prevailing interpretation is that making bread is an act of creation, something demonstrating human power and skill, while Passover is about humbling ourselves and reminding ourselves of God's power.

Anyway Passover was in April, was it not? I think it's Yom Kippur that's coming up. Isn't it? Day of Atonement?

And yes, Passover is April next year, Yom Kippur is in just a few days, then Sukkot and Simchat Torah.

Found your previous post, you may have gotten this from the original thread info but it's not leavening, yeast, or fermentation that is forbidden -- it's products made from grains that have the potential to leaven (that have been exposed to water for more than 18 minutes before baking). Matzah is made specially from grain that has been kept dry, and is mixed and starts baking in under 18 minutes. There's five species of chametz, fully forbidden grains: wheat, rye, barley, oats, and spelt. These are impermissible both to eat and to own during Passover, regardless of your traditional background, and have to be disposed of or sold.

Some traditions (Ashkenazi most prominently) also hold that kitniyot, other grains such as rice, corn, beans, etc. should not be consumed, but do not have to be removed -- so you can still feed them to your animals during Passover.

Leavening agents, yeast, and other fermented foods are not forbidden -- if it was, there would be a big problem with the four cups of wine we drink during the Seder :)

The specifics of what is, and isn't kosher for Passover are fairly complex and vary with different traditions and denominations, along with the reasons for these restrictions. The story of honoring Jewish slaves escaping from Egypt who didn't have time to bake proper bread is a bit of a misconception, since the abstinence from leaven was instructed to start before the Exodus began. A prevailing interpretation is that making bread is an act of creation, something demonstrating human power and skill, while Passover is about humbling ourselves and reminding ourselves of God's power.

And yes, Passover is April next year, Yom Kippur is in just a few days, then Sukkot and Simchat Torah.
Thank you, learned a bunch. Appreciate the time you took to share this.

Back
Top Bottom