What to feed geese in the winter

Typically feather eating indicates a protein or mineral deficiency. I would add some gamegird grower to the grain mixture and see if it stops. They would both love some lettuce but that's not going to stop feathpicking.
You diet looks fine. I would just either add the gamegird feed or a horse ration balancer for a little more vitamins, minerals and protein.

Last edited:
Thank you, Percheron chick, I appreciate the suggestions! I was thinking of getting some gamebird grower to mix with layer pellets for a "breeder ration" of sorts, so maybe I will indeed do that!

Yes. My ducks, chickens and geese all free-range and eat as one group now. The africans and chickens zero in on the whole corn, and the dewlaps and ducks go for the mazuri first. Flockraiser is usually what is left behind after initial wave of eating, but will be entirely gone before next feeding.

Special needs and separated breeding dewlaps (during season) get only mazuri. Also certain dewlaps get a separate extra mazuri feeding.

I keep seeing on the duck thread don't feed corn and I was sure your vet said it was okay. I give mine in winter corn, dry dog food, dried meal worms and Boss for a treat in the afternoon.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, corn in moderation is fine, especially in the colder weather. I am sure you are providing very good feed and care, and it shows with the long lives of your birds. Happy to share.

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for waterfowl feed/breeder rations for geese? I'm not aware of very many options that are available for purchase. I'd love to hear what brands other people buy! Thanks!

Also a question: I gave my pair of Sebastopols a bath today and noticed that the gander slurped up every loose feather he could find and even pulled a few off his mate! Any ideas what he might be missing in his diet? They get chopped hay (second cut) and a mix of wheat, oats, and corn. Maybe he just needs some roughage like lettuce?

Thanks!
They maybe low on calcuim

Usually if going for feathers they need more protein check out your feed and maybe try going to a 20% protein all flock ration. Also you can try other way to give extra protein my female goose loves dried meal worm my gander won't eat them.
I also think game bird feed is higher in protein too or BOSS some breeders will start giving BOSS this time of year since breeding season is just around the corner.

I supplement the occasional grass we have in winter , with my mix of 1/3 poultry pellets that are 22% and a 2/3 grain mix ; usually scratch (corn, wheat, millet) and some oats... that is the most economical around here...(south)

Back
Top Bottom