What to feed my baby ducklings as a treat?

cgjsmith

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
tennessee
I don't know if they are like chickens and can have most anything or if they need something special. I have an over ripe tomatoe that i was going to chop up and give them but thought that might have too much acid in them. Maybe some grapes or greens or somthing like that? Crystal

Hi, not sure about the tomato. I have given mine cooked brown rice. It has healthy vitamins, and inexpensive. When you start "treating" your ducks, make sure they have grit available to help digest it.
Best wishes
smile.png

A little bit of finely chopped greens/lettuce is also a good treat.

Last edited:
I can do that:) I have grit already for our fenches. I'm hoping to use the treat to entice them to become friendly and well like me ha ha (how desperate does that sound) Any other tips they are around a week to two weeks. Crystal

Small chopped up greens works great as a treat for Ducklings. As long as it is not Iceburg lettuce, no nutritional value what so ever. my babies love Peas! Hardboiled eggs, mashed with shells is also a great treat. Tomatoes are good as well. and of course many varieties of bugs!

100_8705.jpg

Always give treats in moderation. You dont want them to fill up on treats, and not eat thier Food. But treats are a great way to get them more Trusting of you.
and dont forget the grit!

A few things you dont want to feed to ducks are:

Bread, bread products-Bad for ducks, and no nutritional value
Popcorn-Chocking hazard
chips-Too Much salt, no nutritional value
Chocolate-Fatal
Seeded breads-Can cause painful Digestive problems

Last edited:
Here's the scoop on iceberg:

This food is low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Iron and Potassium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese.

This food contains known anti-inflammatory nutrients, including Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Beta Carotene.

You can feed iceberg lettuce if you have it on hand, but darker leaf lettuce and darker more colorful veggies have more nutrients obviously than the lighter green iceberg (so iceberg won't harm them-just has less nutritional value than darker greens). Keep in mind when choosing treats, not all things that have a lower nutritional value or no nutritional value are harmful-just as humans consume "empty" calories. Offering treats in limited quantities in conjunction with a good nutritional feed should be perfect for happy healthy ducks.

Last edited:
Thank ya'll. We have a big garden usually and have lots of extra's
smile.png
even after giving it away.
What kind of feed do they need?I was told at our co-op that turkey starter works for both quail and ducks but I just read on the lable not intended for gamebirds so now I don't know what to do. Should I just go get gamebird starter? I can't find unmedicated feed around here. Crystal

Yes, unmedicated gamebird starter is best if you can't find waterfowl food. It seems to be a rare thing to find waterfowl items, and my feedstore doesn't like to carry anything thats nonmedicated. Had to drive to next town to get anything without medication.

I am lucky, as I have a great feed specially for Chickens and ducks,a nd is unmedicated. But yes you do not want to use Medicated feed. so agameburd feed would be best, if no waterfowl feed is available.

ahh guess I need to do some calling so far in three towns around me no one has non medicated.might need a trip to a feed store in AL. Crystal

Back
Top Bottom