What to Feed, What to Feed...

The only commercial feed I give my chickens is Purina Flock Raiser. I feed it to chicks all the way to laying hens. I only feed the crumble. Mine don't eat pellets. Purina has 0 animal fats/proteins in it. To give my chickens animal protein they free range 6-8 hours a day, if that is not possible, they get meal worms, or blue buffalo cat food. I only feed scratch as a special treat. I always have grit and oyster shell free choice. I also have flock blocks by Purina. There is all kinds of goodies they like, if you have more questions there is a great list on here about treats.

With all this being said, this is what works for me. I have Ameraucanas, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Naked Necks, Marans, and Sumatras. I live in a 4 season area. I of course want eggs for eating, but I also want eggs for breeding.

I have tried so many brands and types of chicken food. I almost considered making my own. That was not financially feasible, and I already am busy. What might work for me, might not work for you. It depends on your climate, are they in a run or free ranged, do you want a vegetarian diet, organic diet. All this is a lot to take in. So basically...................Whatever you decide to feed them, they should survive, its more about them being happy and healthy to me!

The only commercial feed I give my chickens is Purina Flock Raiser. I feed it to chicks all the way to laying hens. I only feed the crumble. Mine don't eat pellets. Purina has 0 animal fats/proteins in it. To give my chickens animal protein they free range 6-8 hours a day, if that is not possible, they get meal worms, or blue buffalo cat food. I only feed scratch as a special treat. I always have grit and oyster shell free choice. I also have flock blocks by Purina. There is all kinds of goodies they like, if you have more questions there is a great list on here about treats.

With all this being said, this is what works for me. I have Ameraucanas, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Naked Necks, Marans, and Sumatras. I live in a 4 season area. I of course want eggs for eating, but I also want eggs for breeding.

I have tried so many brands and types of chicken food. I almost considered making my own. That was not financially feasible, and I already am busy. What might work for me, might not work for you. It depends on your climate, are they in a run or free ranged, do you want a vegetarian diet, organic diet. All this is a lot to take in. So basically...................Whatever you decide to feed them, they should survive, its more about them being happy and healthy to me!
Purina uses Animal Fat and Animal Protein in there better show feeds and there show feeds are also medicated with either both Amprolium and BMD or just BMD.

Chris

I'm a newbie here, too, but think I may be able to add some to the discussion.
First, feed is what I know least about. I feed my 7 week old chicks and guineas Nutrena NatureWise chick starter/ grower. It looks pretty good, as far as the ingredients, but they still waste some.

What has helped most to stop wasting feed is the PVC feeders I built.

The tubes are about four feet long and hold quite a bit of feed. The one on the left is 2" PVC; the other two are 3".

Last edited:
ShakeragSusan - those PVC feeders are awesome!!! Thanks for the pics! I might have to "copy" your idea!

Mycritter - if you want to purchase "Scratch and Peck" feed - you could simply go to amazon and purchase it there. I'm also considering getting it to feed a sick hen. I am still doing lots of readings about soy-based feed as I know "experienced" chicken people tend to stay away from feed that is soy-based. I don't know the reason(s) for this yet, so you might want to do some readings on it as well.

ShakeragSusan - those PVC feeders are awesome!!! Thanks for the pics! I might have to "copy" your idea!

Mycritter - if you want to purchase "Scratch and Peck" feed - you could simply go to amazon and purchase it there. I'm also considering getting it to feed a sick hen. I am still doing lots of readings about soy-based feed as I know "experienced" chicken people tend to stay away from feed that is soy-based. I don't know the reason(s) for this yet, so you might want to do some readings on it as well.
I wouldn't say that it is the "experienced" poultry people. None of the experienced breeders, exhibitors, and handlers I know stay away from soy based feed and I know a lot of them.
wink.png

What they do stay away from is Vegetarian type feeds. Ones like Purina's Start and Grow, Flock Raiser, Layena.

Chris

Last edited:
I had asked similar questions a while back..here is a link. Different perspectives shown here and some reasons for peoples choices.
In the end I decided that I wanted to use organic, non-gmo and definitely soy free. I don't mind if there is corn so long as it is gmo free. It's important to me to support local whenever I can, so I sought local millers. I will keep reading and learning.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/669898/corn-and-soy-free/20#post_9059296

Mycritter - if you want to purchase "Scratch and Peck" feed - you could simply go to amazon and purchase it there.

I see a 25 lbs. bag for $18.00 + $19 shipping
ep.gif
. I can spend a few extra dollars for Purina, but no way can I afford $38/25lb feed
roll.png

I LOVE that PVC feeder. I just showed it to DH and I hope to get him started on something similar soon. How do you clean it?

Back
Top Bottom