What to paint coop?

Aart is pretty darn good at the building even I would opt to clear coat pt wood can even buy it in spray cans now put plastic on the windows go for it

To me it looks like regular primed shed siding.
Primed in order to be painted.....

I would paint it.

When expanding the pics in he first post.....I question the framing....a lot. :hmm
I see no vertical wall studs. :hmm:hmm

Last edited:
The sides are treated and meant for the outdoors so no need to seal

Coop guys' response: "It’s a wood siding that is treated and made for the outdoors."
But if it turns gray, that will actually be pretty

That is SmartSide used on the panels. unless you had them paint the siding, it is a factory primer. I would paint it at some point. I used SmartSide on my coop and haven't painted it yet, but should have. I will get it done this fall, for sure. It's been just the primer for 3 years and looks the same as when I put it up. I painted my shed SmartSide 14 years ago and it still looks great. I used Valspar Duramax 100% acrylic latex, 100% acrylic latex is recommended for that siding. It's not recommended to paint the back side, in case you were thinking about painting inside the coop. Here's a link for SmartSide.
https://lpcorp.com/blog/all-about-e... the terms of,to protect the siding substrate.

The paint I used on my shed and will use on the coop.

Coop and shed paint.jpg

Here's the color code I had it tinted to at Lowes, it was close enough to original for me. I took a piece of SmartSide so they could match it.

Coop and shed paint 1.jpg

I took this in the dark tonight with a flash, not the best pic. It's part of the shed door.

coop and shed paint 2.jpg

My new coop is here!! Isn't it beautiful?
View attachment 1920785 View attachment 1920786
It was a custom order from Kroeger Critter Keepers and I love it :)

Now I want to paint the wood parts... but what colors should I use??
It is going to stand on the far, back side of our front/side yard. At the edge of the grass close to the woods. And since it can't "blend in" it will need to stand out ;)

I'm thinking of the window frames and door being one color (purple? Yellow? Dark barn red?) and the rest of the wood being the same color as the roof.

Thoughts??
That is really a nice looking coop!

Nice looking coop. I would suggest painting it any color you want, because if you don't like it, it can be repainted. BONUS: Adding additional layers of (re)paint will help preserve the wood longer anyway. So you really can't lose.

When I built my coop, I knew in advance I wanted the classic red barn with white trim. It works for me. Also, I discovered that the farm store sells barn red and barn white paint for about $11.00 per gallon and most other colors/brands were about $30.00 per gallon. So I ended up saving money AND getting the colors I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom