what to use for water

carinlynchin

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
I had little plastic bowls (jello cups) and they kept tipping it over. Now I have a dog bowlt hat doesn't tip over, but they are getting in it and its ending up wetter than before...i just can't win...what should I do to keep it water free on teh bedding?

I've found that putting a shallow bowl under the first helps catch the water they are very messy drinkers
lol.png
whipped cream bowls work pretty well...

Last edited:
fill the bowl with rocks and leave about 1/2 an inch of water above the stones. they can drink from the water and jump in it but only there feet will get wet. it helps a little bit but give the ducks a break their ducks! lol

they are geese but one got in the dog dish and couldn't get out...now he is trembling and I am trying to keep him warm...

Use a plastic milk jug. Any gallon/half-gallon one will work, just clean it out well, lay it on it's side, then cut two or three holes on one side, small at first. You can enlarge the holes as they grow, or you can use a new jug every time. Clean it well, and it'll be your friend.
lol.png

It's what I used.
wink.png

Yup, a +1 for Duck Keeper's milk jug suggestion.

I start by cutting a hole halfway up the jug just large enough for the ducks/geese to get their heads in, and then get new jugs and cut holes higher up as they grow.

It works great, and you can't beat the price or the convenience. As they outgrow the hole or the jug gets gross, just pitch and replace.

Yea tell me about it..great idea!

i did it with a 1/2 gallon..turned it sideways and cut 3 holes in it..so that I could leave the holes small enough that they coudln't get in, but also that they woudln't be fighting over who gets to drink...so each has a hole to drink out of ...it really works well...not one single spill....WONDERFUL!!! Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom