what to use for water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by carinlynchin, Apr 21, 2009.

1. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    I had little plastic bowls (jello cups) and they kept tipping it over. Now I have a dog bowlt hat doesn't tip over, but they are getting in it and its ending up wetter than before...i just can't win...what should I do to keep it water free on teh bedding?

2. melodylee

melodylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    I've found that putting a shallow bowl under the first helps catch the water they are very messy drinkers [​IMG] whipped cream bowls work pretty well...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    fill the bowl with rocks and leave about 1/2 an inch of water above the stones. they can drink from the water and jump in it but only there feet will get wet. it helps a little bit but give the ducks a break their ducks! lol

4. carinlynchin

Feb 18, 2009
    they are geese but one got in the dog dish and couldn't get out...now he is trembling and I am trying to keep him warm...

5. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Use a plastic milk jug. Any gallon/half-gallon one will work, just clean it out well, lay it on it's side, then cut two or three holes on one side, small at first. You can enlarge the holes as they grow, or you can use a new jug every time. Clean it well, and it'll be your friend. [​IMG]

It's what I used. [​IMG]

6. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Yup, a +1 for Duck Keeper's milk jug suggestion.

I start by cutting a hole halfway up the jug just large enough for the ducks/geese to get their heads in, and then get new jugs and cut holes higher up as they grow.

It works great, and you can't beat the price or the convenience. As they outgrow the hole or the jug gets gross, just pitch and replace.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

That's a good idea, first time I have heard of that one. I bet it works very well.

Steve in NC

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  8. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

The milk jugs are a great idea. I wished I had known about it last year.

9. carinlynchin

Feb 18, 2009
    Yea tell me about it..great idea!

i did it with a 1/2 gallon..turned it sideways and cut 3 holes in it..so that I could leave the holes small enough that they coudln't get in, but also that they woudln't be fighting over who gets to drink...so each has a hole to drink out of ...it really works well...not one single spill....WONDERFUL!!! Thanks!!!

10. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Love the milk jug idea! Wish I would have known that a few months ago!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by