1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to use to attach machine cloth to fencing...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jeffross1968, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    What does everyone use to attach the cloth to the bottom few feet of a chain link dog lot? I was just going to use some heavy wire and twist it. My wife brought up using zip ties, but I wasn't sure how plastic would hold up to predators or long term exposure to the sun. Advice?

2. Cuckoo Roo

Cuckoo Roo New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    Hey there! I use the little c-clips offered by Bass Equipment that you use to assemble the rabbit cages. Nothing works better. Zip ties are ok if they're the farm type that are meant for outdoor use but the regular electrical ones seem to go bad after a couple years. They're cheap enough though, that you can just replace them when they snap and it's no big deal. For a permanent fix, the little c-clips are the way to go.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I used roofing nails with the plastic washers on them when attaching it to wood. On plastic, I used screws and washers.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:This for sure.

5. gabe4223

gabe4223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Montgomery County,Texas
    Hog rings. They are strong and relatively inexpensive .All you need are the hog ring pliers and a bag of rings or you could use regular pliers it just takes longer

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    We used zip ties to attach our chicken wire to the outside of our larger 2"x4" wire run walls because we had some lying around. We'll see how long they last before needing to be replaced, with our winters I wouldn't be surprised if I need to do it next year. I've read that a lot of people use the hog rings or heavy gauge wire and "sew" it onto the fence.

Good luck!

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hog rings or rings used in upholstery work well. Make sure to use enough to keep fuzzy butts from getting between the two layers of wire. Hog rings also work great to attach skirting to the run wire

8. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Hog rings or J-clips work. So do pieces of plain old wire, cut into 3-4" lengths.

A recent find of mine at Home Depot was STAINLESS STEEL cable ties!! The plastic ones are a mistake, IMO--any self-respecting racoon can go right through them, and they fall apart after they've frozen a few times. But the stainless steel ones are GREAT and come in several sizes. I used the large (11") ones to attach my new wire cage top to my dog kennel and the smaller ones would be perfect for affixing hardware cloth to chainlink. [​IMG]

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/stainless-steel-cable-ties.php?gclid=CNPE_dW3zKkCFYgW2godC2vfNA

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by