What to use to cover chicken run?

Jessica 123

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
Hello,

as my chickens feather out and are getting ready to go into coop I am finished up some things for the protected run. I bought a large dog cage with a protected chicken tunnel to the run however the dog cage does not have a top. I was wondering how people predator proofed the top of their cage? I was thinking about using green plastic chicken netting but since it is only sold 3ft by 50ft I would need alot the cage is 10ft by 10ft and I was hoping to cover it with one large netting! Let me know what you all used and if it worked or not.

Take Care!
Jessica

I used deer netting over my Barred Rock run, 10'x 30'.
20190529_092900.jpg

It's been up since May. It protects against Raptors, but not Mammals. It's cheap at TSC.
20190827_141412.jpg

GC

You could use hardware cloth if you wanted something super sturdy. To make it one big roll I think I've seen people cut of a small strand of it to almost weave, or tie together, two large sheets of it so you could cover the whole thing. However 10 ft by 10 ft would be alot of difficult netting to tie together : o good luck with whichever method you choose

My run is partially covered by a metal roof. The rest is covered with 2” x 4” pig fencing. Keeps all but the baby mammals out.

D82BBBE7-05FE-4CE6-ADAE-342D86EAE926.jpeg

During the winter, the whole thing is wrapped in 6mil plastic. I use a clear plastic tarp over the top of the unroofed part of the run.

Back
Top Bottom