What to use to steralize the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skittlez, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    I bought a new bator. First hatch was 5/6 of my own eggs. I didn't clean it right away, but cleaned it before I used it again. Well the 2nd time around nothing hatched out of 27. I had 2 weepers, a bunch clear. I ended up with 6 at lockdown. None hatched. These were 12 shipped eggs and 15 from the neighbor down the road. I am thinking I did not clean and steralize my incubator properly as temp and humidity were spot on. My daughter opened the 6 and 1 was a quit about day 18, 1 was fully developed but teeny tiny, the other was just an eye. 2 looked like hard boiled inside, one was just a small blob.

How exactly should I steralize my incubator? It is a plastic Top Hatch. It comes apart and all pieces are plastic and washable. No styrofoam pieces. I really don't want to have this bad luck again.

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have a rcom king suro and I take it all apart wash in hot soapy water(not the top I only use disinfectant for that) and when dry i wipe the entire thing with disinfectant. Seems to work for me.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Give er a good spraydown (minus electrical parts) with a bleach/water solution.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I had bought a styrofoam bator a few years ago. My first hatch was 100%. The next hatch was about 75%. It went down with every hatch. Finally, I did some research and bought a Gensis 1588. Its still a styrofoam, but the hatch ratio is great. I clean it with hot soapy water and let it dry in the bright sun. Sunlight will kill lots of bacteria. I also wipe it down with clorox wipes and put it in the sun again.
    Sometimes it might not be the cleaning but the quality of the bator. I don't know anything about yours. I do know that sometimes its the ability of the bator to hold up after each use. Maybe someone else will help you with your bator problem. Don't give up.[​IMG]

5. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    bleach/water solution and hot water

6. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    Thanks everybody. I will spray with bleach and water and dry in the sun. One of the reasons I bought the Top Hatch is was its washability. I will wash it better with bleach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by