What treat did your chickies get today?

I have eight 7-9 week old pullets. I have just started bringing them treats on occasion. They are pretty suspicious of the new foods.
I have given them strawberries, apple core, carrot peels, corn, and tonight they had some blackberries and torn bread. The vote on the blackberries was mixed. That really surprised me. The corn was the biggest hit.

Is there anything that I absolutely should give, or not give?

thanks, Karen

my girls had a spaghetti squash cut in half....they go wild for the guts and seeds. After a few hours I use a fork and scrape up the flesh a bit more and they go wild again. The half cabbage in their pen is taking a while to eat but they do peck at it.

My layers enjoyed their favorite --tomato bits-- some corn cobs, and a scoop of scratch (I know its summer but I just love seeing their fat bodies waddle-run when they here the sound of the grain bag rustling) and then I went hunting for moths and crickets for my 2-week-olds and watched them play keep-away for five minutes before one finally got a chance to eat one

I stopped at the coop on my way up the drive. All girls were on their perches, so I felt really bad opening the door and disturbing them. They needed water, so it was good that I stopped. Everyone came to the door to check for treats. I have to say that they have not seemed super bright about treats. they are always curious, but they are not always sure what to do with a new food. they are 7-9 weeks old. Is this normal? They play keep away, but then they don't always know what to do with food other than their grain.

Tonight I brought them some corn kernels, torn bread bits, a few blackberries, and two small cubes of watermelon diced up. Corn always seems popular.

I stopped at the coop on my way up the drive. All girls were on their perches, so I felt really bad opening the door and disturbing them. They needed water, so it was good that I stopped. Everyone came to the door to check for treats. I have to say that they have not seemed super bright about treats. they are always curious, but they are not always sure what to do with a new food. they are 7-9 weeks old. Is this normal? They play keep away, but then they don't always know what to do with food other than their grain.

Tonight I brought them some corn kernels, torn bread bits, a few blackberries, and two small cubes of watermelon diced up. Corn always seems popular.

Chickens are like sheep...if one of them shows interest and takes a bite than they all have to have it, and the chase is on. But if you can't find that first bird that will show interest, none of them will show interest. I think that that is one of the reasons that larger flocks tend to eat everything that is presented to them, while smaller flocks tend to be a bit more finicky about what they will eat.

Back
Top Bottom