What treat did your chickies get today?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Plucky Pullet, Oct 8, 2010.

1. LunaticCafe

LunaticCafe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    First it was some cooked lentils mixed with coarse-ground wheat and corn. Then I drained some kefir, and they got about a tablespoon of kefir grains (I only have three pullets). In a bit, I'll gut a cantaloupe for them. Oh, and a few days ago I harvested some seed heads from the overgrown weed plot near our house; each day they get a few of the dried seed heads. They sure like stripping the grains off the stalks!

The b/f says I spoil them, but (almost) all of this would have been thrown out. Free feed!

2. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Water Melon Rind...they really love Water Melon Rind...[​IMG]

3. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    my hens got watermelon rind today......all heads were down and all bums were up....lol the chicks got some cubed bread....let the keep away games begin.....

4. breakout

breakout Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    Never realized they were such carnivores! They go more nuts for ground up beef than anything. Hard to see the frenzy in a still shot. My wife is explaning the situation to me in the drawing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. OnceAroundTheBlock

OnceAroundTheBlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Western North Carolina
    Fresh green beans (uncooked), Sugar Puff cereal, scratch and several handfuls of freshly mowed grass.

6. Rock Home Isle

The ducks enjoyed an early morning snack from an ant swarm...Didn't know that ducks liked to eat ants so much.

[​IMG]

7. Rock Home Isle

I mowed the lawn today...both the pullets an the ducks enjoyed the fresh cut grass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LunaticCafe

LunaticCafe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    Today it was the last slice from a loaf of (homemade) bread. Chooks have had trouble figuring out how to eat it, so today I put it in a hanging suet feeder. Success!

9. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

I cut up some squash to put into sphegtti sauce this morning and gave the girls the other half raw seeds and all and they ate it all up going bawrak the whole time they are 10 weeks old and getting their grow-up voice.

10. JohnSWA

JohnSWA Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    Fresh raw cauliflower for my ladies today! They just love the stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by