What treat did your chickies get today?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Plucky Pullet, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Grape Leaves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iWolfie

iWolfie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2012
    Mine were fed with some fresh bananas :)

3. edna4

edna4 New Egg

Jun 17, 2012
    [​IMG]my chickens have had pasta today they love it, and mealworms

4. edna4

edna4 New Egg

Jun 17, 2012
    mine wont touch bananas, only thing ive given them that they walked away from

5. miamor

miamor Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    I swear I wish my girls would eat the treats I give them!! They are so picky! How do you give them treats? Do you just throw them on the ground? in a bowl/ plate? I've tried both ways and they stick their beaks up in the air at them and me :( They'll go crazy for some cracked corn though!!

6. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Everytime that I go out into the yard I bring the girls a treat. Usualy its Bird Seed....after a while they associate me with food. And whatever I give them they will usually try it...they MAY walk away in disgust...but they will usually try it.

I don't think that giving them Grape Leaves was such a good idea...they seem to have developed a taste for it now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  7. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

Raw zucchini, I just halved it and let them go at it. They ate it up I was really surprised.

8. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Since it is strawberry season here......my girls got a bunch of strawberry ends and cooked brown rice. Wow lots of excitement with that treat...good thing there is more rice left and more berries to pick tomorrow.

9. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    My chickies had radish tops, mealworms and some mixed veggies, which were from my dinner..lol! (the mixed veggies, not the mealworms were from my dinner...lol,lol!)

10. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    Lately I've been adding some crumbled animal crackers to their fruit/veggie/greens I give almost every morning. The animal crackers had been sitting in the cupboard on my 8yr old's "treat shelf" for a few weeks. He admitted he didn't like them. I had him look at the ingredients for sugar content and then read me the ingredients (Take every opportunity to teach LOL!). We agreed they didn't have "too much" sugar for the chickens and that they were out newest treat for them. The first time I had my son toss some in the run we just tossed them in. The chickens spent a good 5 minutes pecking at them. I realized the crackers were too hard and stepped on each to crush them a bit. Then the chickens decided they loved them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by