What treat did your chickies get today?

D.gif
my chickens have had pasta today they love it, and mealworms

I swear I wish my girls would eat the treats I give them!! They are so picky! How do you give them treats? Do you just throw them on the ground? in a bowl/ plate? I've tried both ways and they stick their beaks up in the air at them and me :( They'll go crazy for some cracked corn though!!

I swear I wish my girls would eat the treats I give them!! They are so picky! How do you give them treats? Do you just throw them on the ground? in a bowl/ plate? I've tried both ways and they stick their beaks up in the air at them and me :( They'll go crazy for some cracked corn though!!

Everytime that I go out into the yard I bring the girls a treat. Usualy its Bird Seed....after a while they associate me with food. And whatever I give them they will usually try it...they MAY walk away in disgust...but they will usually try it.

I don't think that giving them Grape Leaves was such a good idea...they seem to have developed a taste for it now.

Last edited:
Since it is strawberry season here......my girls got a bunch of strawberry ends and cooked brown rice. Wow lots of excitement with that treat...good thing there is more rice left and more berries to pick tomorrow.

My chickies had radish tops, mealworms and some mixed veggies, which were from my dinner..lol! (the mixed veggies, not the mealworms were from my dinner...lol,lol!)

Lately I've been adding some crumbled animal crackers to their fruit/veggie/greens I give almost every morning. The animal crackers had been sitting in the cupboard on my 8yr old's "treat shelf" for a few weeks. He admitted he didn't like them. I had him look at the ingredients for sugar content and then read me the ingredients (Take every opportunity to teach LOL!). We agreed they didn't have "too much" sugar for the chickens and that they were out newest treat for them. The first time I had my son toss some in the run we just tossed them in. The chickens spent a good 5 minutes pecking at them. I realized the crackers were too hard and stepped on each to crush them a bit. Then the chickens decided they loved them!

Back
Top Bottom