What treat did your chickies get today?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Plucky Pullet, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    temps were 96 in the shade yesterday I had some left over grilled trout fillets nobody wanted to eat so I chopped them up in the food proccessor, froze them and the girls went nuts!!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. madi99

madi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Long Island, New York
    thanks for the tip! i gave them yogurt for the first time yesterday...they wouldnt eat it out of the bowl but they would try it off my finger :) hopefully if i mix their food in theyll try it

3. red hen in the rain

red hen in the rain Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Swisshome, Oregon
    MIne got leftover gristle and fat scraps from the beef barbecue. I've been feeling that they need more protein - they went CRAZY for this stuff. The dog was jealous. :) DOn't worry I never feed the chickens next to the dog or vice versa. That could get ugly.

4. themadchicken

themadchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2012
    Lehi Utah
    Mine had left over baked chicken.They love to pick the meat off of the bone. They also had some apricots that were wind blown.

5. WalkingWolf1

WalkingWolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Vermilion
    [​IMG]

My 8yo daughter (my little chicken farmer) will tell us to shhhh when we mention cooking chicken or buying fried chicken. She will say, "they are just right there and they are listening". She does say it with a smile on her face and it has never stopped her from enjoying chicken cooked in just about any way.

1 person likes this.
  6. madi99

May 13, 2012
    Long Island, New York
    I got them to eat scrambled eggs today!! ive been trying treats for days and they havent been impressed but they LOVED the eggs... actually i think they enjoyed the banana muffin they got yesterday but they went crazy over the eggs! i feel like such a proud mama [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  7. dancingflower68

dancingflower68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Manteca, CA
    lets see....mine had scrambled eggs/mixed veggies/yogurt/a couple blackberries/blueberries/watermelon and...cabbage! They had gigantic poops today!!

Madi99..I'm glad your chickies liked the scrambled eggs!! Mine have been going crazy for them for awhile now!! It's so satisfying watching them devour their goodies!! Makes me feel so proud and happy to see them enjoy themselves...I love chickens!!!

8. SouthernChicka8

SouthernChicka8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    SOUTHERN TEXAS
    Corn on the cob, some fresh peaches today. :) they loved them

9. madi99

May 13, 2012
    Long Island, New York
    dancingflower68... it made me sooooo happy to see them actually eating the treats i gave them... maybe its because i cooked it especially for them :)
    i was getting so discouraged because when i gave them yogurt the other day they had NO interest in it whatsoever and i was afraid i was gonna have the only chicks who didnt like treats! especially because the next day i gave them a piece of bread and they also had no interest..
    I'm so glad i found something they like!!

10. Just reebok

Just reebok Chillin' With My Peeps

Strawberries! They love them!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by