What treat did your chickies get today?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Plucky Pullet, Oct 8, 2010.

1. datagram

datagram Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    Ojai, California
    New to chickens, what are foods they CANT eat ??

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    There is a list somewhere on the forum that states what they can & can't eat. Just search the site.

3. So far today, they have gotten---cold cooked corn on the cob and tomatoes. Will edit later

4. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    plain non fat yogurt, blueberry lactose free yogurt, chilled watermelon and over ripe tomatoes.

5. linguafranka

linguafranka Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    leftover spaghetti noodles (no sauce)

question - anyone kno0w if chickens will be repulsed by Horseradish or Wasabi? i've got some egg-eaters & we tried baiting egg shells full of mustard, but they seem to LIKE the mustard!! think they will dislike the wasabi or horseradish if we add that to the mix? Hot Sauce?? I'm not sure if chickens have the "receptors" to sense that horseradish burn, and if they can't there's no point in using it... Thanks for any tips!

6. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

bread and watermelon rinds with a good bit of watermelon and seeds still attached. they loved it as always :)

7. mkr

mkr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Carrot peelings and some fancy organic popsicles that no one ended up liking. Except the chickens, that is! It's soooo hot I thought they would like a frozen treat. Oh, and some tomatoes that the robins got to before I did.

8. philbfarm

philbfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    W. Sayville, New York
    My gals favorite is also yogurt, but with sunflower seeds, oatmeal and chilled red seedless grapes! (Sometimes I'll mix in a few dried mealworms). - very spoiled!

9. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Mine got cucumber peels, froze watermelon and strawberrys as it was 106 today.
    Early this morning their usual a hand full of cherrios and cornflakes

I have a bag of tortillas corn chips that is a little stale wonder if they can eat them?...they have salt and grease.Wasnt sure if thyre can have either.

10. Farmchic76

Farmchic76 New Egg

Jun 3, 2012
    Wilkes, NC
    Blueberries! and they were a hit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by