What treat did your chickies get today?

I usually save them chicken carcasses for stock, but I will have to try to save some bones I would throw out, like pork, to give the chickens. I wonder how many others do this? Great idea!

How often can you give treats? I leave pellets out all the time and am trying lots of different things. They love califlower, will pick at kale. I put the kale in a suet feeder, worked pretty good. They love grits for sure, yogurt, and were ok w/oatmeal. I am just not sure how much to give as I don't want them to avoid the Feather fixer they are on now. I do have scratch that i can throw out too. I am learning I can give them tons off different food and I love that! They were not that crazy over the boiled potato & carrot peels, but they did like the juice. Tried peanuts too - they are still figuring them out.

Best to keep treats and scratch limited to 5-10% of the total intake. Adding things will diminish the nutrition.
If you're feeding a 16% protein feed and half of the diet is things with little or no protein, you're down to 8-10% protein which will cause them to go down hill fast starting with feather picking and cannibalism.

You can offset that with animal protein like fish and meat scraps.

Last edited:
Thanks! I sure don't want to encourage any bad behavior like that!  Red meat is ok for them? I was worried it was not lean enough. When you give Tuna, for example - how much?

I only have two girls so I have to be very careful about treat consumption. (It is so easy for me to go overboard and serve up way too many treats!) I try to keep daily treat limited to a small handful composed mostly of greens and at least some protein (about a thimbleful per bird). Not saying this approach is right or wrong but it is an approximation of the amount of treats I give.

Ps I have given red meat and lots of other meat/fish to my ladies

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom