What treat did your chickies get today?

OMG.. I don't like watermelon but bough some for the chicks. They are 6 weeks old now but got introduced to watermelon when they were still in the brooder at 4 weeks. They sure love this stuff..

Gave this up as fingernails more interesting than the watermelon..

Got to make sure I am not holding out on the goodies..

Frogs. I don't feed them frogs they just find them on their own and gobble them up.
sickbyc.gif

Since we had a bonfire, the baby girls and boys got marshmallows, graham crackers, a few pieces of organic turkey hot dog, and a hot dog bun. Alex went insane and started attacking me for one of those jumbo marshmallows, and flew on just about everyone in my family to steal some. I love that girl!
smile.png

-Alex

Our girls love seedless watermelon & cantelope. Both were horribly messy in the run, so this is what I did:

Watermelon - Cut in half and place upside down on a plate, then cut the rind off all the way around to below the white part. The first few pieces come off in more of a rectangle than a round shape, so the dog gets the extra cut from those. It's easy for the girls to peck the resulting half-dome and it keeps them busy.

Cantelope - Cut in half, scoop the seeds out, then cut the rind off past the lighter part. The dog gets the extra and I use a cheese grater on the rest. It's gone in seconds, so they get this in the hotter part of the day when they should be less active.

Our girls love seedless watermelon & cantelope. Both were horribly messy in the run, so this is what I did:

Watermelon - Cut in half and place upside down on a plate, then cut the rind off all the way around to below the white part. The first few pieces come off in more of a rectangle than a round shape, so the dog gets the extra cut from those. It's easy for the girls to peck the resulting half-dome and it keeps them busy.

Cantelope - Cut in half, scoop the seeds out, then cut the rind off past the lighter part. The dog gets the extra and I use a cheese grater on the rest. It's gone in seconds, so they get this in the hotter part of the day when they should be less active.

I am wondering why you would get them the seedless or scoop the seeds out? chickens love the seeds.

Back
Top Bottom