What treat did your chickies get today?

BOSS and i caught and gave each chicken a dose of poly vi sol because of all the rain we have had the last 3 months just to be extra cafeful

Ugggh, I know the rain has been terrible!
We finally have had a couple of sunny days, but my field still has standing water.
Good idea on the extra vitamins, I think I might have to do that.

Today's menu included a fresh bunch of bamboo branches and BOSS.

Henderson County here. I have them come up all over the place, especially in my garden rows. My cousin called me one day and asked "Did you PLANT the creasy greens in your rows?!?" The chickens like them ok, and yes, @MyMilleFleur
they are good in stir fries.

Grandma did stir fry before it was stir fry, lol. Creasy greens, with sliced spring onions (scallions) "stir fried." She called it Spring Salad. Add fresh cornbread. Gosh I miss her cooking!

Grandma did stir fry before it was stir fry, lol. Creasy greens, with sliced spring onions (scallions) "stir fried." She called it Spring Salad. Add fresh cornbread. Gosh I miss her cooking!

Oh yes, my Grandma was just an "old country woman" she raised 11 children and cooked everything homemade. Big biscuits, cornbread and her home made apple jelly was made by just boiling it down - it was so thick you could scoop some out and the spoon would stand up by itself on a plate. I would love to have some of that right now.

Oh yes, my Grandma was just an "old country woman" she raised 11 children and cooked everything homemade. Big biscuits, cornbread and her home made apple jelly was made by just boiling it down - it was so thick you could scoop some out and the spoon would stand up by itself on a plate. I would love to have some of that right now.

Me, too! I wish I knew how to do half the things they did. They grew most of what they ate, raw milk from her sister's Jerseys was churned for butter and buttermilk. Grandpas brother's supplied the hogs. The cellar was full of canned vegetables (mason jars), hams hanging, dried fruits and "leather britches." We're probably the last generation to have enjoyed that lifestyle.
263a.png

Grandmas are the best cooks! Of course, my Aunt Carrie was the one who lived in the country and made the best homemade chicken and dumplings you ever ate! Now, we're in the country trying to remember how to do the things they were raised doing.

As for the chickens, the had spinach and cucumber today. I love hearing our roo call the girls over for a treat.
1f604.png

Me, too! I wish I knew how to do half the things they did. They grew most of what they ate, raw milk from her sister's Jerseys was churned for butter and buttermilk. Grandpas brother's supplied the hogs. The cellar was full of canned vegetables (mason jars), hams hanging, dried fruits and "leather britches." We're probably the last generation to have enjoyed that lifestyle.
263a.png

I'm afraid you are right. The "old ways" are being lost. I grow most of our veggies and can or freeze them. I have some family members who think this is ridiculous in this day and age! "It's a waste of time and effort. After all if you want canned veggies, there are plenty at the store. My nephews honestly still do not believe you can eat the eggs my girls lay. You can only eat the ones that come from the store.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom