What treat did your chickies get today?

Depends entirely on how many you plan on giving them how often.
smile.png
They lay a lot of eggs, but their lifecycle runs about 7 months or so. So I would buy enough to keep your chickens in worms for 7 months + your breeders.

I keep mine inside. As long as you don't let anything mold and sift out the frass and dead every few months or so, there isn't any odor except oats. They won't climb out of a fish tank, so no escapees. 110-120 degrees might be a bit much for them...they won't have the option of retreating to a cooler microclimate in captivity.

Also, something I figured out recently: if you include dermestid larvae/beetles in your colony, you won't have to pick out any mealworms that have died...they eat them for you. A nice time-saver.

maybe in the garage.. but when it's 110-120 outside the garage is pretty much baking temperature.. so..might not be a good idea..

i don't know if i can keep them inside.. might have to cover the outside of the fish tanks

they look pretty creepy to be honest not sure if my family would want them in the house..

7 months life cycle ?

live meal worms vs dried meal worms? what's your opinion on this?

Found my pullets new favorite treat. Fresh boiled snapper and mahi. They went nuts when I put it in their run. I'm saving the trimmings from now on when I clean my catch. Pure protein to boot.

Everybody has been getting a lot of nice watery fruits and veggies to keep them hydrated in this heat wave. We didn't break records, but we matched them. :( They've all got lemon slices in their waterers to help combat any heat stress.

Today the outside flock got cucumber halves. They also got and extra-special treat of crickets (1/4" for the brooder babies, 1" for the outside crew) since I was ordering dermestids anyway. The brooder babies got finely chopped (in food processor) sweet peppers too.

maybe in the garage.. but when it's 110-120 outside the garage is pretty much baking temperature.. so..might not be a good idea..

i don't know if i can keep them inside.. might have to cover the outside of the fish tanks

they look pretty creepy to be honest not sure if my family would want them in the house..

7 months life cycle ? 

live meal worms vs dried meal worms?  what's your opinion on this?

They don't like light anyway. You could keep them in a closet or cabinet if you like as long as there is at least some ventilation.

I just got done doing some maintenance on my colony...I have many more baby mealworms than I thought! They are so tiny...not much wider than a hair and less than a centimeter long now. And the adults are still procreating away in a separate bin...

My chick(en)s get the most excited about live bugs of any sort. In addition to their enjoyment, most of the dried mealworms sold in the US are produced in China in bulk and shipped here for packaging into different brands. After all the recalls on China-produced treats for other pets, I just prefer to raise my own.

I spend a bit of time in the evenings sitting on the stairs outside my bedroom and hand-feeding my chickens, dried mealworms, raisins and corn on the cob. A winning trifecta. They have become a pack of Juvenal delinquents brazenly pecking at my bedroom door for their treats. I hear them knocking and know they are reminding me it's treat time. so I sit on the stairs and soon I have all 7 of them fighting for a spot on my lap and treats. I give them a pan with a variety of vegetables everyday, which they love, but this is the special treat time. I will try different foods during this time, I can see what they like and don't care for, mostly they love all foods.

So far corn on the cob this morning. Summer squash and halved oranges this afternoon. Trying to keep everyone hydrated in this heat. With a little extra vitamin C to help the older ones weather the stress.

Back
Top Bottom