What type of chicken looks like this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Broodygranny, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Broodygranny

Broodygranny Songster

Mar 23, 2018
    Hi everyone. I am new here, and I am just asking this for fun. My chickens are mixed breeds, but a lot of them look the same. They are about the same size as my brown legern hen. They are solid black, including their comb, feet, and beaks. They are crested. They are so cute! I would love to get a rooster that looks like them, but I have no idea what they are. My profile picture is my favorite one. Her name is velvet.

Attached Files:

AMERAUCANAS4REAL likes this.
  2. It looks like it could have some Ayam Cemani in it, but they aren't crested like yours is

puffypoo22 and AMERAUCANAS4REAL like this.
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    All black = fibromelanosis? Do any of them have extra toes? I'm thinking Swedish Black hen (svarthona) or silkie crosses with another breed. Could also be ayam cemani crosses, but those are pretty expensive.

Broodygranny likes this.
  4. Amber.charlie

Amber.charlie Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Dorset, UK
    We have a ayam cemani cockerel and itv Looks a little like him, his names diesel. the photos are overly clear though. Ayam cemani cross breed maybe? I’m no expert though sorry.

5. Broodygranny

Broodygranny Songster

Mar 23, 2018
    Thanks for the replies! I will look into those breeds. I don't think I will be able to invest in an ayam cemani, although they are beautiful!

6. Broodygranny

Broodygranny Songster

Mar 23, 2018
    They do have extra toes! What does that mean?

7. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Looks like Svart Hona mix since the legs are not totally black

Broodygranny likes this.
  8. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Silkies have extra toes. Your hens are probably the offspring of black silkies and some other breed. They're likely to go broody and (if you butcher) have black meat. (which is very weird.) It definitely explains the crests!

featherhead007 and JedJackson like this.
  9. Broodygranny

Broodygranny Songster

Mar 23, 2018
    That is probably what she is then. She raised a brood last year, and is a wonderful mama! She is small and we have predator problems here. We didn't loose even one baby.Thats where the other hens came from that look the same.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  10. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Upper Midwest
    My Coop

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: