What type of eggs do you like best?

What type of eggs do you use or recommend?

• Caged

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Cage-free

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Free-range

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Organic

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Pastured

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I just grab a random carton off the shelf

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I am making an article about store eggs vs. farm eggs, and I am wondering what type of eggs everyone likes, and some of the best brands. I'm guessing that most people on BYC use eggs from their own backyard, but if you have to use eggs from the store (like if most your chickens are molting or something) what kind do you choose? Here are the options, vote in the poll the one(s) you use:

-Caged: chickens kept in crowded cages with barely enough room to turn around, fed antibiotics to prevent diseases.

-Cage free: chickens run loose in a barn with about one square foot of space per bird.

-Free range: kept in the same conditions as cage free chickens, except they have access to the outdoors, which may range from a large field to a small pen on concrete.

-Organic chickens are fed a certain diet from the time they are chicks. They never have antibiotics or
chemicals of any sort. This is the most strict type of brand. They aren't aloud to be in cages, and have to have access to outside.

-Pastured chickens are supposed to live in a pasture during the day, but there are no rules for this, making it slightly risky, but if you know of a trustworthy company it is one of the best options.

What I mean by type is caged, free range, cage free, as listed above. By brand I mean a certain company, such as "The Happy Egg", "Vital Farms", or "Organic Valley".
(Also, I am referring to chickens in this, but these terms are also used for quail, ducks, geese, and turkeys.)

No criticizing or flaming to anybody for their choice of type or brand!!!
Please post your opinion below (politely), along with your favorite brands that you know you can trust.

I believe the pastured label has yet to be coopted by “big chicken,” so I’ll go with that for now. If I run out of eggs in winter I’ll just turn on the lights. If I use lights judiciously, add a few new layers each year and rotate non-layers out, the eggless periods should be few and short. That’s the plan anyway.

Back
Top Bottom