What type of hens should I stay away from?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miron28, Oct 9, 2008.

1. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    I know everyone here has there favorite hens! But what is a hen that I should stay way from? I am looking for a hen that will give me good egg production. Also want it to be friendly i don't want it to attack me every time I walk it to the coop! Any suggestions?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Well, a GOOD hen is the Light Brahma, standard fowl. very nice birds. Also, the Standard Salmon Faverolle. They are very curious friendly birds.

3. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    From everything I've seen/read, Buff Orps and black Australorps are also friendly and productive. Good luck!

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Stay away from polish I have never seen such skittish birds. I try to go into the coop to feed, somebody has to fly out. I try to fill the feeder and they scatter everywhere you would think I had an axe in my hands instead of food. they fly to the top of the coop ,hit the walls and you. I can't tell you how many times they have knocked the food bowl out of my hands.

5. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    Quote:I agree. I have had many polish and not one has been tame. Very skidish. I love americanas and red sex links and New hamshire reds. I raised 28 in the house for the first 2 1/2 months and They follow me around. They let me pet them and pick them up with out a squack. I love them.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

While some breeds like barred rock and buff orpingtons have typically gentle natures, chickens are like people. They have their own personalities and will be what they are. I would hate to tell you get a BO and have that ONE hen be a diaster! We have 1 BO hen and 4 BO chicks, and the hen tries to take care of the chicks, which shows her nature. But, you never know! RIR's are supposed to be difficult and the two we have are sweet as sugar.

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Wow. My polish are my tamest birds. Even more so then my buff Orps. They happily jump up on my arm and snuggle with me. I trim the feathers around their eyes though so maybe that's why they are more friendly.

8. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Maybe it depends on how much time you are able to spend with them while they are little?

9. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    No Redfeathers I have trimmed their hair picked them up Right from day one when they were babies they were skittish.They were the first to fly out of the brooder too.Your are not typical of the breed. I think Cochins are the tamest but from what I have heard they are not good egg layers. Mine havent started laying yet so i am not sure. My cochins coo at me when i come into the coop.

10. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    I was thinking about getting rode island reds, buff orpington , white leghorn? What do you all think? Are they good egg layers? Will they let me at least get close to them with out attacking me? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by