What type of hens should I stay away from?

miron28

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
lenoir north carolina
I know everyone here has there favorite hens! But what is a hen that I should stay way from? I am looking for a hen that will give me good egg production. Also want it to be friendly i don't want it to attack me every time I walk it to the coop! Any suggestions?

Stay away from polish I have never seen such skittish birds. I try to go into the coop to feed, somebody has to fly out. I try to fill the feeder and they scatter everywhere you would think I had an axe in my hands instead of food. they fly to the top of the coop ,hit the walls and you. I can't tell you how many times they have knocked the food bowl out of my hands.

Quote:
I agree. I have had many polish and not one has been tame. Very skidish. I love americanas and red sex links and New hamshire reds. I raised 28 in the house for the first 2 1/2 months and They follow me around. They let me pet them and pick them up with out a squack. I love them.

While some breeds like barred rock and buff orpingtons have typically gentle natures, chickens are like people. They have their own personalities and will be what they are. I would hate to tell you get a BO and have that ONE hen be a diaster! We have 1 BO hen and 4 BO chicks, and the hen tries to take care of the chicks, which shows her nature. But, you never know! RIR's are supposed to be difficult and the two we have are sweet as sugar.

Wow. My polish are my tamest birds. Even more so then my buff Orps. They happily jump up on my arm and snuggle with me. I trim the feathers around their eyes though so maybe that's why they are more friendly.

No Redfeathers I have trimmed their hair picked them up Right from day one when they were babies they were skittish.They were the first to fly out of the brooder too.Your are not typical of the breed. I think Cochins are the tamest but from what I have heard they are not good egg layers. Mine havent started laying yet so i am not sure. My cochins coo at me when i come into the coop.

I was thinking about getting rode island reds, buff orpington , white leghorn? What do you all think? Are they good egg layers? Will they let me at least get close to them with out attacking me?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom