What type of red heat bulb?

Yes, like I said, it won't heat the room, but if they hang out underneath it will warm them. Just like the ones you see in bathrooms. They are meant to keep you warm as you dry off from the shower, without using the energy required to heat the whole room.

I've got several reptiles and use the reptile bulbs. The red is only there so you do not disturb their sleeping paterns...a.k.a light hours...think about it...animals don't see the red light thus we use them to spotlight...I mean for game cameras
wink.png
...no really red is no different than the white just look at the wattage and have appropriate height placement. I use little bulbs for my snakes and stuff and hang about 8 inches....I use a big buld for my chicks but have it at one end of a horse water tank with lots of holes for ventilation...still doesn't save them if it falls
hit.gif

Quote:
There is a difference between a red colored lamp and an infrared heat lamp. A plain old red bulb is not a heating bulb, a red colored bulb mainly provides red light, not necessarily heat. For heat you need an infrared bulb.

Quote:
You will be fine with one bulb. My coop is kinda irregular and difficult to describe but last year it was 6X10 and I had two red light bulbs out there and it kept the coop around 15-20 degrees and it was -0 outside. The chickens may have been some of the heat but I only had 6 so I don't think they were that much of an influence.

Like I said as long as the lamp is secure and out of reach of the inhabitants then you will be just fine.

Jeremy

Quote:
There is a difference between a red colored lamp and an infrared heat lamp. A plain old red bulb is not a heating bulb, a red colored bulb mainly provides red light, not necessarily heat. For heat you need an infrared bulb.

Exactly what is in the link I provided.

jeremy

[edit] Heat
Main article: Thermal radiation
Infrared radiation is popularly known as "heat" or sometimes "heat radiation", since many people attribute all radiant heating to infrared light and/or to all infrared radiation to being a result of heating. This is a widespread misconception, since light and electromagnetic waves of any frequency will heat surfaces that absorb them. Infrared light from the Sun only accounts for 49%[8] of the heating of the Earth, with the rest being caused by visible light that is absorbed then re-radiated at longer wavelengths. Visible light or ultraviolet-emitting lasers can char paper and incandescently hot objects emit visible radiation

all incandescents emit heat...that is why they have limits on the type of fixture

Quote:
No, the main reason that heatlamp bulbs are deemed soooo dangerous by many of us is that we have seen the barn fires they can cause. They get hot enough -- from just the heat they put out in totally normal correct operation -- to easily ignite things like bedding, dust, wood. All it takes is for the heatlamp to come to the combustibles (like, it slips or falls down, which they do on a regular basis and usually to people who were SURE the way they rigged it could not fail), or for the combustibles to come to the heatlamp (dust or shavings collect in the wrong place, a ceiling plank shifts, etc etc)

How many here use christmas lights? Just as dangerous.

I am curious on what you base this. I do not believe it is likely to be true. Sure, christmas lights cause fires (ELECTRICALLY, generally -- from damaged wires, overloaded outlets, insecure plugs; although yes, old-style xmas lights that get real hot can also ignite dry tree needles or flammable ornaments) but look at HOW MANY are in use.

Far fewer people use heatlamps than christmas lights, yet they are a leading cause of barn fires. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, heat lamps are the leading equipment-related cause of barn fires. (Human actions such as smoking in the barn, spontaneous combustion of hay, electrical wiring faults, and lightning strikes cause more barn fires than heat lamps, but of those, only wiring faults are really risks in a coop)

On a per-user basis (that is, correcting for the fact that way more strings of christmas lights are in service than heat lamps) I am pretty certain that heat lamps cause MANY MORE fires.

If anyone knows of some actual numbers on this it'd be nice to see.

But til then, at least remember that heat lamps ARE DESIGNED to put out heat at levels that easily sets things on fire if anything goes wrong (xmas lights aren't).

Pat​

Quote:
There is a difference, but it is not that much of a difference. And plain ole floodlight bulbs are a lot cheaper, in situations where heating is not really a very big deal in the first place
smile.png

Pat

Quote:

Teach97 has it right, I don't know why I thought they were different. Obviously the energy consumed by the lamp, measured in watts, is all eventually converted to heat whether the the lamp is red or white, just at different wavelengths. They make the "heating" lamps in red to reduce the brightness and glare when heat, not lighting, is the desired effect.

Here's a good article:

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/agengin/g01170.htm

Some info here about christmas/holiday related fires:

http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.as...t sheets/Seasonal safety/Christmas tree fires

http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.as... sheets/Seasonal safety/Winter/holiday safety

Plus a friend of mine (worked for the railroad) had his wife two kids and a dog wiped out from a fire deemed caused by christmas lights. He was working when the fire took place and when they were put up. He was only a few hours away when it happened. If he hadn't been delayed by some dispatch error he may have saved them as it happened when he should have been home. After a few months the grief took a toll and a 12 gauge in a park ended his pain.

Tell me how a red heat lamp has done similar damage to this. They may be dangerous but so is driving to work or eating out. Yes it may not be necessary in your head but to some it is so maybe when someone asks for advice about how to use these when that is what they feel is essential then maybe giving them advice on how to use it safely would be in order instead of no no no. These can and have been used safely.

jeremy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom