What type of tree is this?

drewskimac

Songster
6 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Siloam Springs, AR
372BBE24-2F73-4928-9496-E2BC20423CAA.jpeg
I found this tree in my girlfriends grandparents yard. They aren’t sure what type of tree it is nor if the nuts are edible. I was told they produce pink/purple blossoms before producing the nuts. I am having a hard time identifying it.

Attachments

• C562563D-671F-412B-8960-D296AA04B1C6.jpeg
    C562563D-671F-412B-8960-D296AA04B1C6.jpeg
    867.4 KB · Views: 7
Nope, Catalpa produce bean pod like seed pods. It does have a really similar leaf though.
Paulownia maybe? If you post a pic on Davesgarden.com they might be able to ID it for you.

When you find out what type of tree it is please come back and let's us know. It looks very similar to a tree I used to see on my ex's grandparents' property in Illinois that I was unfamiliar with and always wondered about.

Hard to tell, but it does look like Paulownia tomentosa, aka Empress Tree, to me. If so, the seeds don't appear to be eaten, but the leaves can be if cooked, and the flowers are added to salads. It's also called a Foxglove tree, but does not appear to be related to Digitalis - otherwise, no part would be edible. The flowers do bear a resemblence to Digitalis. Incidentally, Paulownia tomentosa is considered invasive in many areas.

All I know is there was a group of people/organization that put traps in the trees that looked similar on my ex's property to catch a bug specific to that tree. That's what I was told and the traps looked like those you can get for fruit trees.

Back
Top Bottom