What type of turkey should I get and where should I get them from!

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
So yeah I'm planning on getting turkeys next year and am wondering where and what breed to get for like a pet and just calm and will be good with chickens

So yeah I'm planning on getting turkeys next year and am wondering where and what breed to get for like a pet and just calm and will be good with chickens
They are all the breed Turkey. Choose a heritage variety. Look for them locally.

Unless they have lots of room and are not imprinted by chickens they can all be hard on chickens.

Get a couple of hens to start with.

You can learn a lot about the different heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

Last edited:
Unless they have lots of room and are not imprinted by chickens they can all be hard on chickens.
Yeah they have plenty of room, I will be letting them free range in my 15 ish Acer fence everyday

So would a good way to imprint chickens on them be to put them around chickens when they are younger , like when they are around the same size as chickens
You can learn a lot about the different heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.
Okay good to know I will check that out

So would a good way to imprint chickens on them be to put them around chickens when they are younger , like when they are around the same size as chickens
You don't want them imprinted by chickens. Imprinting causes the turkey to not be able to understand that there is a difference between them and chickens.

A turkey treating chickens the same way it treats other turkeys does not end well for the chickens especially if the turkey is a tom.

You don't want them imprinted by chickens. Imprinting causes the turkey to not be able to understand that there is a difference between them and chickens
Why does it matter if they think there chickens
A turkey treating chickens the same way it treats other turkeys does not end well for the chickens especially if the turkey is a tom.
Im never getting a tom , If I end up buying turkeys as poults I will sell them asap if they turn out to be Male

Why does it matter if they think they're chickens
Because they treat the chickens like turkeys and end up killing them. The turkeys can get extremely single minded in that when they decide to go after a chicken they are relentless about it and will keep at it until they accomplish their goal.

The size difference gives the turkeys a big advantage. If they don't think of the chickens as if they are turkeys they will leave them alone as long as the chickens stay out of their way.

Because they treat the chickens like turkeys and end up killing them. The turkeys can get extremely single minded in that when they decide to go after a chicken they are relentless about it and will keep at it until they accomplish their goal.

The size difference gives the turkeys a big advantage. If they don't think of the chickens as if they are turkeys they will leave them alone as long as the chickens stay out of their way.
So long story short I shouldn't put turkeys with chickens?

Back
Top Bottom