What type of worm is this?

My Pretty Pekins

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Somewhere in the English Countryside
My Coop
My Coop
Hey all,

Currently we have 6 full-grown hens (two are Pekin Bantams) and 1 Pekin cockerel. One of the Pekin hens has just hatched chicks so they're separate, but in one of the other's poops I've notived some fairly long, white thin worms. I'll attach a picture, but what type are these? How should I treat them, and prevent them in future?
20190503_164906.jpg

Large roundworm, it looks like, also called ascarid. That is the most common worm in chickens and aside from tapeworms, is the only type you can see without a microscope. Valbazen can be used to treat 1/2 ml orally to each chicken, and then repeat it in 10 days. Safeguard liquid goat wormer may be used as well, 1/4 ml per pound given orally, and repeat in 10 days. Wazine 17 may be used in the water for 24 hours to treat the flock.

Neither ACV or DE will treat worms. The meds that @Eggcessive listed are the best option. Roundworms are easily picked up in the environment, so you may have to put them on a regular schedule of worming to keep them under control. Some can do once or twice a year, some flocks may need more often, every flock is different, it depends on the worm load in your particular environment.

Back
Top Bottom