Do you have a picture of her vent where the maggots were?
Was there a wound?
I looked her over and I didn’t see any wounds- I didn’t take a picture (good idea for the future) she did have two callous looking things on the bottoms of her feet- they looked less like wounds and more like padding. Her feathers around her vent were stained greenish/yellow and she had very liquid/foamy poop. The worms looked like they had been in the bedding that was stuck to her feathers- I saw them when I was trying to clean her vent.

Your hen died of flystrike (maggots). Did she have poop on her butt? That and injuries are what flies like. Flies like to lay eggs near a chickens (dirty) vent. The eggs can hatch under 24 hours on a warm day.
She did, I didn’t notice it before I brought her in though- thanks for the tip, I’ll look into it! Any tips for treatment?

She did, I didn’t notice it before I brought her in though- thanks for the tip, I’ll look into it! Any tips for treatment?
Soak the bird's bottom in water with dish soap (to drown the maggots). Then, pick out any other maggots stuck on the area. Try to keep the bird away from flies. Applying some swat gel or petroleum jelly to the bottom can help also. Some pain killer FREE neosporin can help the wounds heal as well. I also like to trim away the feathers near the wounds and maggot infested area. Pictures would help with treatment.

Yeah...unfortunately most birds die from it. A few days and the birds gone. Luckily, I caught it quick both times my hens have gotten flystrike, so no death caused by that.
Not sure how much it’s been helping but starting two years ago I’ve been putting up fly traps around the coops. Especially during the summer. I’ve also heard flies don’t like the smell of vanilla but I don’t know how true that is. Regardless I put up vanilla car fresheners too. Works either way ‘cause the fly traps begin to smell!

Back
Top Bottom