what uses buttermilk?

Just assembled a really large pan (a new to me Descoware 14x10x3 enameled cast iron baking pan) of BAKED eggplant parm: baked as in instead of frying the breaded eggplant slices you BAKE them. Brush your seasoned eggplant slices with EVO then beat about 6 eggs and a 1/2 cup buttermilk and dip each slice in the mixture then into your breadcrumbs, bake about 20 minutes per side or until really golden. Makes a really healthier baked eggplant slice.

Take two of these breaded eggplant slices, pop a bit of mozzeralla and some mortadella (Italian bologna) in between them to build a sandwich, bake THAT 20 minutes to a side at 400. WOW

Last edited:
hey mike - I have very little experience with eggplant . . . for your recipe should I buy small or big? slice how? remove seeds? peel?

Last edited:
Get bigger, look for really smooth ones with no bruises or dry patches on the skin. Wash, slice into half inch round slices until you reach the flower cap. Season with seasoning salt/pepper, brush both sides with evo, dip in your egg/buttermilk bath and then bread crumbs (i made fresh from day old italian bread on sale), lay out on parchment paper lined sheet pans and bake at 400 for 20/20. So good. The smaller japanese style are great for bake eggplant casseroles or smaller "italian" eggplant for a tapenade to spread on toasted bread.

Last edited:
Buttermilk Chicken, Buttermilk Biscuits, Buttermilk Pancakes....the list goes on lol Like most I get stuck buying a half gallon of the stuff and don't have a use for that much, so hello buttermilk recipes for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Back
Top Bottom