what uses buttermilk?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by LMiller49, May 28, 2011.

1. LMiller49

LMiller49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    I have a bunch of extra buttermilk that is about to expire...what can I use it up in? TIA

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    You can divide it into 1 cup containers and freeze it. Then when you need buttermilk just set it out on the counter to thaw. Or if your in a really big hurry you can thaw it in the microwave on the defrost setting.

I don't like buttermilk to drink so when I buy it, it is always because a recipe I am using calls for it. None of my recipes ever uses a whole half gallon of buttermilk so I use what I need and freeze the rest.

Edited to add: It will separate somewhat when it thaws, but this doesn't affect the performance or the taste of the recipe that you use it in.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    The chickens would love it. You can freeze it for use later, but it will only be suitable for cooking then (won't hurt to drink it, just won't have the same texture.)

Go on a baking frenzy and freeze your baked products.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Add some hot sauce to it and soak chicken in it overnight... then fry up the chicken.... yum!
    Make sure the chicken is dead first...

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    chickens do love it!
    also butter milk ranch dressing
    & big mikes Naan recipe

6. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    PANCAKES! with lots of syrup [​IMG] and black coffee. [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    German chocolate cake or biscuits.

8. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    All of the above and thanks for the freezing idea. I have been giving the extra to the chickens and they do love it but am a little concerned that they are to young for the extra calcium. I only give yogert rarely because of it. But NOW I can freeze it by the cupful and then food saver it!

9. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought buttermilk to make pancakes with. I had it laying around one day when I was gonna make pizza and used it warmed slightly to start my yeast it. WOW was it good. I also use it to make fresh NAAN, you know the indian flatbread. Same thing for any muffin recipe that might use milk or sour cream or yoghurt, use some buttermilk instead. SOOOO good.

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Biscuits, muffins, waffles, pancakes, the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten. My problem with buttermilk is keeping it on hand, not what to do with it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by