What variety?

Wolfefarmyard

Crowing
Aug 18, 2017
Gansevoort, NY
Hello!

I got a few turkey poults and I’m not sure what they are. I believe that they’re all heritage though.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
D5640A9F-9EDE-4380-8E1A-28047586488E.jpeg
8CE64838-5941-43EE-810E-615A4ADDAB3A.jpeg

Hello!

I got a few turkey poults and I’m not sure what they are. I believe that they’re all heritage though.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
View attachment 1825472 View attachment 1825474
They look like mixes to me that will not be able to be identified until they have their mature feathers.

Two are black based (white face mask associated with the black gene). There are many different black based varieties that look very similar when they are poults. They most likely are heritage varieties.

It is possible that someone in the Turkey Color Genetics Group may have a better guess.

They look like mixes to me that will not be able to be identified until they have their mature feathers.

Two are black based (white face mask associated with the black gene). There are many different black based varieties that look very similar when they are poults. They most likely are heritage varieties.

It is possible that someone in the Turkey Color Genetics Group may have a better guess.

Thank you, they came from cackle hatchery so they shouldn’t be mixes.

Thank you, they came from cackle hatchery so they shouldn’t be mixes.
Cackle is the middle man and not where the actual poults come from. I had a discussion with their Royal Palm supplier when Cackle had pictures of Tri-Color turkeys posted as being Royal Palms.
After looking at the breeds on their website and comparing pictures, I think I have 2 black Spanish and a bourbon red!
That is another thing that should have tipped you off. There are no true Spanish Blacks. If Cackle were doing the right thing they would not make the false claim that they are Spanish Blacks and would simply post them as Black turkeys. In the U.S. Spanish Blacks haven't actually existed for many years. They sell any black looking turkeys as Spanish Blacks irregardless of their lineage. Overseas some places call anything that has any black a Spanish Black including Barred Blacks.

Your one poult may well be a Black turkey but the one with the gray areas will not be a pure black turkey,

The other poult might be a Bourbon Red.

Bourbon Red poults

Hmm, I didn't know this... and Meyers is ALSO calling theirs Black Spanish. :pop
The APA only recognizes a Black turkey as one of the 8 varieties of turkey that they recognize. The Black turkey can be from any lineage including those produced by breeding Blue Slates together. They do not recognize a Spanish Black turkey.

Cackle also improperly refers to the different varieties of turkeys as breeds. Meyer Hatchery and McMurrays avoid mentioning the term breed or variety when referring to their turkeys. Stromberg's properly refers to their turkeys as varieties.

The original Spanish Black turkeys were called such because of where they originated. It is the same for Norfolk Blacks which were also named for where they originated. There was no difference between a Spanish Black and a Norfolk Black other than where they came from.

Cackle is the middle man and not where the actual poults come from. I had a discussion with their Royal Palm supplier when Cackle had pictures of Tri-Color turkeys posted as being Royal Palms.

That is another thing that should have tipped you off. There are no true Spanish Blacks. If Cackle were doing the right thing they would not make the false claim that they are Spanish Blacks and would simply post them as Black turkeys. In the U.S. Spanish Blacks haven't actually existed for many years. They sell any black looking turkeys as Spanish Blacks irregardless of their lineage. Overseas some places call anything that has any black a Spanish Black including Barred Blacks.

Your one poult may well be a Black turkey but the one with the gray areas will not be a pure black turkey,

The other poult might be a Bourbon Red.

Bourbon Red poults

Yes I’m aware of this, I was just saying what they labeled them as. I’ve done lots of research on the different varieties.

I’m not sure if that one actually has gray areas or if it’s just the lighting, I’m going to go check and maybe take some more pictures.

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom