What veggie to plant in June in Virginia?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by secuono, Jun 1, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I have a 6x6ft raised bed, maybe 5-6in deep. Added 2 bags of peat-moss, 4 bags of cheap top soil and one bag of oddly stinky, but it's not manure. I watered the dirt after mixing it some, that didn't go over too well, lol.
    Anyway, I wanted to know what I can plant for June here in Virginia. I'm in Culpeper and the spot the 6x6 is in gets lots of sun, some shade in the morning and some late in the day. I'll be putting in seeds, not started plants, btw!
    Please let me know what you guys think I should plant this week. [​IMG]
    List below is of the seeds I currently have and what my fi8ance will eat. I'm not much of a 'grass eater'. But my fish adore the Cucumber! I can grow that, it was the only thing that made it through August heat and my hatred of that awful heat.
    Pepper, crispy hybrid
    Tomato, super sweet 100 hybrid
    Spinach, bloomsdale long-standing
    Lettuce, prizeleaf
    Mustard, red giant
    Carrot, dancers half long
    Watermelon, allsweet
    Cucumber, boston pickling
    Cucumber, straight eight
    Broccoli, green goliath
    Tomato, cherry
    Tomato, rutgers
    Endive, broad leaved batavian
    Pumpkin, small sugar pie
    Watermelon, sugar baby
    Cabbage, early jersey wakefield
    Peas, wando
    Sweet Corn, golden queen hybrid

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Since it is so cold here - and it is stunting my garden................I think you should plant it all and then I can live vicariously thru you. [​IMG]

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    We are having summer weather here, rather be freezing...
    I did end up planting most of the seeds I had. We'll see what makes it and what totally craps out, lol.

4. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    So u would rather be freezing,i would like to move to Va,r u close to the beach? [​IMG][​IMG]

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm a winter person all the way. The only warm weather I like is 75-78F lightly cloudy, light breeze, no humidity.
    The heat/humidity shortens my fuse drastically, I just can't stand it.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Planted a few seeds several days ago, a few are starting to pop up. [​IMG]

7. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am the complete opposite. I LOVE hot weather.. and don't like to be colder than 60ish.. Now, I don't like to sweat in the summer, but I still prefer it to winter. It's not true you can just put more clothes on to get warm for me.. my body doesn't generate heat!

Here in Ok we have a lot of humidity though... and I don't like that either! I'm like you, it wears me out.. lol

8. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like you have a wonderful listing of things! I love to garden... sorry, I don't know anything about what is heat resistant though!

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    More have sprouted! Added 36in tall chicken wire around the raised bed to try and keep rabbits away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by