What was your free mystery chick from Murray Mcmurray hatchery??

My order is scheduled to come March 7-10. I cannot wait for the chicks to arrive, but I really want to know what the mystery will be. I notice a lot of people get cockerels vs pullets. I can understand them doing this to get rid of what is not selling. Whatever it is, I am hoping that it is actually something rare/exotic.

Last edited:
Hey Quick question, how do you add the mystery chick? I'm placing my order tomorrow, and it would be great to know that =D
Thank you =)
I am really not certain, but I believe if your cart has 15 chicks it just shows up in the order. There is no way that you can manually add the free rare chick on your own. Meyers has a free chick. It is called Meyers Meal Maker. It is suppose to help feed people in your community. You can donate the eggs or if you do not get a good layer you can donate the meat. This really excited me. It was something that my family had talked about doing anyway, and the fact that the bird is given to us makes us want to continue the giving. Of course it is a mystery bird that we will have to raise, but it would not be giving if we were not giving something up. We are stoked about this opportunity.

Hey Quick question, how do you add the mystery chick? I'm placing my order tomorrow, and it would be great to know that =D
Thank you =)
I'm pretty sure it's one of the questions toward the end of the ordering and it's already selected to add to your order but I'm pretty sure you can unselect it. But can't wait for mine they ship out February 2nd!!

My order is scheduled to come March 7-10. I cannot wait for the chicks to arrive, but I really want to know what the mystery will be. I notice a lot of people get cockerels vs pullets. I can understand them doing this to get rid of what is not selling. Whatever it is, I am hoping that it is actually something rare/exotic.
I have my 26 chicks(plus mystery chick) shipping out February 2nd and I can't wait either!! And yes I heard they ship out more cockerels out than pullets as well. I'm thinking if I get a rooster,what ever breed is it I'm gonna make my new flock rooster. I have an amerecauna rooster I've had for almost 4 years and I think it's time to let new blood into the flock. And I've seen some rarer breeds like amercauna, lakenvelders,blue andulausians,cochins,and things but not breeds like yokahama,sumatra,egyptian fayoumis or anything but it's great they do and can't wait!

I have my 26 chicks(plus mystery chick) shipping out February 2nd and I can't wait either!! And yes I heard they ship out more cockerels out than pullets as well. I'm thinking if I get a rooster,what ever breed is it I'm gonna make my new flock rooster. I have an amerecauna rooster I've had for almost 4 years and I think it's time to let new blood into the flock. And I've seen some rarer breeds like amercauna, lakenvelders,blue andulausians,cochins,and things but not breeds like yokahama,sumatra,egyptian fayoumis or anything but it's great they do and can't wait!
That is awesome! McMurray is a family tradition. My grandparents actually used them, my parents, and now my family. My mom once ordered 6 Silkies. They filled her order with the 6 silkie hens, a silkie roo and two polish cockerels due to the weather not being too cooperative that Spring.
My husband and I just moved back to my home town and stay on one of my family's farms. It has 169 acres, but we are only going to farm 2.5 acres. We are starting small with only 1 greenhouse, 10 outside raised beds, 52 chickens, and 5 guineas. We will add as we grow. It is one small step to self sustainability for us.
I feel safe with using McMurray. I am not so sure about Meyers, but we are getting a few birds from them for breeding. Hoping that the birds are not too close in relation and some meat birds, plus or Meyer Meal Maker. A friend of mine recommended them to me. I am hoping that this experience is a good one.
My kids are super excited. My toddler loves all chickens. My husband and oldest son do not like Turkens. So I am praying that we do not get a Turken, because I would try to rehome him. I would so want to keep it. Either way I am still excited that they will be here in 5 weeks!

Good morning from the High Sierras in Nevada. We received a "mystery chick" from McMurray that we assumed would end up being a Roo. Surprise! We received a Silver Laced Polish Hen whom we call "Topper". She is now the #1 Fav in our flock - and an ambassador in our area, helping to grow the backyard chicken movement here. We LOVE her to bits. She has so much personality,but is also a great snuggler. She lays 5 out of 7 days a week and seems to escape the passions of our roosters. So her Crown is still beautiful (even after 18 months!). We have more chicks coming this April, and will have 2 mystery chicks in those orders. We are praying we get pullets, as are most others I'm sure.

That is awesome! McMurray is a family tradition. My grandparents actually used them, my parents, and now my family. My mom once ordered 6 Silkies. They filled her order with the 6 silkie hens, a silkie roo and two polish cockerels due to the weather not being too cooperative that Spring.
My husband and I just moved back to my home town and stay on one of my family's farms. It has 169 acres, but we are only going to farm 2.5 acres. We are starting small with only 1 greenhouse, 10 outside raised beds, 52 chickens, and 5 guineas. We will add as we grow. It is one small step to self sustainability for us.
I feel safe with using McMurray. I am not so sure about Meyers, but we are getting a few birds from them for breeding. Hoping that the birds are not too close in relation and some meat birds, plus or Meyer Meal Maker. A friend of mine recommended them to me. I am hoping that this experience is a good one.
My kids are super excited. My toddler loves all chickens. My husband and oldest son do not like Turkens. So I am praying that we do not get a Turken, because I would try to rehome him. I would so want to keep it. Either way I am still excited that they will be here in 5 weeks!
That's cool to hear your family has always used one hatchery through out the years and sounds like they are a good hatchery. And that's the way to do it is to grow your homestead and learn along the way,I'm getting a garden started and the chicks that are coming are gonna be part of a little egg business. I like to be more self sufficient. And I ordered a couple turkens and my dad thinks there ugly cause of there bare necks but I love the look. I'll post pictures when the little one's arrive!!

Good morning from the High Sierras in Nevada. We received a "mystery chick" from McMurray that we assumed would end up being a Roo. Surprise! We received a Silver Laced Polish Hen whom we call "Topper". She is now the #1 Fav in our flock - and an ambassador in our area, helping to grow the backyard chicken movement here. We LOVE her to bits. She has so much personality,but is also a great snuggler. She lays 5 out of 7 days a week and seems to escape the passions of our roosters. So her Crown is still beautiful (even after 18 months!). We have more chicks coming this April, and will have 2 mystery chicks in those orders. We are praying we get pullets, as are most others I'm sure.

She's a beautiful polish,I ordered a buff polish. You lucked out on your freebie congrats

That's cool to hear your family has always used one hatchery through out the years and sounds like they are a good hatchery. And that's the way to do it is to grow your homestead and learn along the way,I'm getting a garden started and the chicks that are coming are gonna be part of a little egg business. I like to be more self sufficient. And I ordered a couple turkens and my dad thinks there ugly cause of there bare necks but I love the look. I'll post pictures when the little one's arrive!! 
Thanks. I would love to see. I will be sure to do the same. Then we can all try to guess the mystery chicks. Yours will be here before you know it. My Baby-boy wanted his chick here for his bday, which is February 3. We chose to get ours later to be sure that we would be ready. Good thing because our coop is incomplete (not that they would be put in there until 6 weeks).

Gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom