1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What was your hatch rate on your very first try?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by topeka, Dec 20, 2009.

1. topeka

topeka Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Hello Group,

I am attempting my first hatch of 10 eggs (my own mixed breed ). I don't want to get my hopes up. What was your percentage your first hatch?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I got 36 eggs and not one hatched in fact I never even saw veins growing but held onto them-nope duds -wound up her roo wasnt doing his job the right way!!!

3. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    haha 0%.
    It was cause i had a messed up thermometer [​IMG]
    But my first hatch with chickens was 1 that hatched out of 8 eggs lol wasnt too good then but i just hatched out 20 chicks out of like 30 eggs [​IMG]

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    0% I decided to make my own hatcher and moved them from the LG bator on day 18 (staggered hatch) and I had a temp spike. I cooked them.

5. Jaguar6

Jaguar6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Same here 0%. Made a homemade bator that had bad temp and humidity spikes. Decided to try again with another homemade bator that hold temps and humidity a lot better and I ordered myself a hovabator for X-Mas. Good luck![​IMG]

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I had a 98% hatch but I also had a friends eggs that I knew was fertile and lots of help from her in the process.

7. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    some of you may not beileve me but 100%. i couldnt beileve it. i had my grandpa to help me but it was his first time also. all eggs from the chickens here. 4 seramas, 2 mutts.

we put one chicken egg in there that i knew wasnt going to grow because of how small it was. (button quail sized egg) so if you want to get all technical it was a 83% hatch.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I had a 50% hatch rate but i used a silkie... not a bator

9. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Well my DS did the incubating, but Duck eggs 100% 16 of 16 of our own eggs. Guinea eggs 0, not 1 was fertile. Also our own eggs. Done in an LG still air. My DS is 12 (was 11 at the time) and did the turning twice a day, added water when necessary and watched the temp religiously. He did a great job!

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    five out of six, under a silkie broody. Then i bought a Hovabator 1602n and it took me several tries and I don't know how many dozens before I got a hatch. I had never heard of a hygrometer or ideal humidity. Not until someone told me about BYC and I rand down to walmart and bought one. Then it took me a several more attempts before I found out how very closely I needed to watch it in my house, and that the last few days of incubating, there is this little temp spike from the eggs themselves developing, gotta watch for that! Then the humidity at hatch time, then NOT to help chicks out... I'd say a few hundred eggs were sacrificed in my learning of what to do, and more importantly what NOT to do. Fortunately they were mostly my own home laid eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by