What Waterer Do Y'all Use?

beth1004

Songster
Feb 11, 2018
Duluth, GA
We have a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples. I purchased from Amazon. Problem is it leaks. Does anyone else have a better option. I like that it doesn't get dirty as it hangs.

Is the leak coming through the nipples or around where they're inserted into the bucket?

If it's through the nipples, then they're bad. I had one recently that had a small void in the injection molding, so there was just a hole in the side of it that let water through. The little rubber o-ring at the back could also not be sealing properly. In this case, you can just pop out the bad ones and put new ones in.

If the leaks are around the insertion point, it's an easy fix. I like to put a little bit of clear epoxy around the join on the inside of the bucket. You have to be very careful not to get any on the back, where the o-ring is, so you may want to do the nipples on one side, let it set, then the other so that wet epoxy doesn't run down while you've got it turned over. I've also tried silicone, which sealed well but didn't actually adhere to anything, so just brushing up against it (as in during a cleaning) would pull it off. This does have the advantage of not permanently clogging anything.

Back
Top Bottom