What we can get by breeding, crossing or mating these chickens onto each other ?

haroon2019

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2018
1 Rhode island rooster onto white Rhode island hens ?

2 Whit Rhode island rooster onto red Rhode island hens ?

3 Rhode island red rooster onto white leghorns hens ?

4 Rhode island red rooster onto playmouth rock hens ?

5 Rhode island red rooster onto Delaware hens ?

Whay are the names or the offsprings and Which one of the offsprings will be laying many eggs ?

All of thosw crosses should yield sex-links, meaning boya and girls will hatch different colors
1) White/yellow males, red females
2) The opposite
3) Same as first except the females might have black spots on their down
4) Depends on color of Plymouth Rocks. If barred, males will be barred with a white dot on the head at hatch. Females will be blackish
5) Red females, white males

The leghorn crosses should be the best layers.

For red sex-linked offspring, the father must be red and the mother silver. This is due to the fact that hens can only possess a single ground-colour, inherited from their father, whilst cockerels have two loci for ground colour and receive a gene from each parent.

The main issue with using a white bird is that you cannot be certain that it is silver underneath the white. This is particularly true of recessive white, which will dilute both eumelanin (black pigment) and pheomelanin (gold pigment). I believe that Rhode Island White are recessive white, so there is no way to know if a given bird is silver or gold.

White Leghorns are dominant white on an extended black base. @The Moonshiner may know if they are silver-based or not.

If the Plymouth Rock hens are Barred, they would yield black sex-link offspring. The barring gene is another where females can only possess a single copy, from the father. With that in mind, this cross yields solid females and single-barred males.

Delaware hens are both barred and silver, though the Colombian restrictor, which pushes eumelanin to the neck may cause difficulties when trying to sex as BSL.

For red sex-linked offspring, the father must be red and the mother silver. This is due to the fact that hens can only possess a single ground-colour, inherited from their father, whilst cockerels have two loci for ground colour and receive a gene from each parent.

The main issue with using a white bird is that you cannot be certain that it is silver underneath the white. This is particularly true of recessive white, which will dilute both eumelanin (black pigment) and pheomelanin (gold pigment). I believe that Rhode Island White are recessive white, so there is no way to know if a given bird is silver or gold.

White Leghorns are dominant white on an extended black base. @The Moonshiner may know if they are silver-based or not.

If the Plymouth Rock hens are Barred, they would yield black sex-link offspring. The barring gene is another where females can only possess a single copy, from the father. With that in mind, this cross yields solid females and single-barred males.

Delaware hens are both barred and silver, though the Colombian restrictor, which pushes eumelanin to the neck may cause difficulties when trying to sex as BSL.
Pretty much exactly as I said.
RIW are indeed recessive white.

Both the crosses of RIRxDelaware and RIRxRIW are very common crosses used in hatcheries to produce sex-links.
Cinnamon Queens, ISA Browns, and Golden Comets are all created by crossing a RIR rooster over RIW hens.
Some hatchery Black Sex-Links are typically RIR rooster x Delaware hens. :)

The white leghorns I worked with are silver based. IDK if others are or aren't.
IMO hatchery RIW are dominate white.
When the hatcheries cross them for sex links the females are red with white tails.
That tells me its dominate white.
If it was recessive white they would only get one copy and it wouldn't express. Their tails would be black.
Also shows why its a myth that white leghorns can't make sex links. Dominate white isn't an issue. It goes back to if they're silver based or gold based as the issue.

Both the crosses of RIRxDelaware and RIRxRIW are very common crosses used in hatcheries to produce sex-links.
Cinnamon Queens, ISA Browns, and Golden Comets are all created by crossing a RIR rooster over RIW hens.
Some hatchery Black Sex-Links are typically RIR rooster x Delaware hens. :)

Although RSL are produced in this method, the lines of RIW used have been bred to ensure purity for silver. Other lines may have gold; out crossing to RIR would not be unusual. As @The Moonshiner states, white is not the issue, nor relevant in sex-linkage; it is ground colour. With this in mind, our earlier statements differ. I inferred that you are either treating silver, dominant- and recessive- white as one and the same, or assuming that the white birds are silver, which cannot be certain.

@The Moonshiner I recall reading that white leghorn have been used in the production lines that go on to produce RSL. Here in the UK, it is more usual to have white-tailed red hybrids than black-tailed. I have bred from them and it is indeed dominant white. I believe most are pure for it; I have hatched around 40 and only 7 have lacked dom-white.

Thank you dear friends !..it helped me alot.

In fact we want to build a farm in Afghanistan to produce more 5 thousands eggs but the problem is that we don't have USA chickens here. Local chickens lay for almost 3 months , then they stop laying . So we wanted to buy around 200 white Rhode island hens and Rhode island red roosters and incubate thier eggs after crossing them to have better laying offsprings.

Back
Top Bottom