What/who killed my cockerel? ***warning graphic pictures***

Blood splatter indicates struggle occurred in pen. Predator got in.

Definitely a struggle, there are other scenarios that are non-predator related-see below.
Last night we had a very bad storm. Winds got up to 50mph and it was practically raining sideways. It went on most of the night but stopped early in the morning. I went to take care of the chickens and found one of my cockerels dead.

He was in the way back corner sitting in a pool of blood.

His flesh was torn all the way to the bone

There was also blood splattered all over the walls and ground

I have an enclosed run made out of chain link dog fencing. There were no silkie feathers in the grow out pen, only one in the run. If it was my silkie, wouldn't there be feathers from him in there because he is going through a molt? Could my silkie have done this or do you think it was a mink or weasel?
I had a hen that that was killed and partially cannibalized by the other hens in the hen house (my husband claims she was 'shanked' because she was a really crabby girl and always stirring up trouble). Exact same wounds down to the bone at the back of the head. I know it was not a predator, she was found dead in the enclosed hen house and I had heard squabbling first thing in the morning but wasn't able to check on them for about a half an hour cuz I had to get the kiddo off to school.

The most likely scenario for the demise of Cluckles2: the rooster mated with her and when he grabbed the back of the neck the skin was torn by accident. The other hens saw blood and proceeded to chase her and peck at the wound. Forensics showed blood spatters much like yours on the walls of the hen house where she shook her head and sent blood droplets and clots on the walls. When she eventually went into shock from the trauma and laid down, the hens ate their fill from the open wound. Over in a matter of minutes. Poor Cluckles2. I no longer close my chickens in the henhouse at night--they can get away from each other in the run that way.

In your case the initial injury could well have been a raccoon reaching through the fence and grabbing at the head tearing the skin. It could have also been caused by another bird pecking at the youngster to establish pecking order and accidently tearing the skin. It could have been an injury caused during the storm.The Silkie' face is covered in blood because he feasted on the open wound after your boy died.

It is worrisome that it could be a predator--best put up a fine mesh hardware cloth next to the existing chain-link to keep little raccoon hands out the coop. Put up the game cam, too, so you can tell what is lurking about. My gut tells me a bird of prey is unlikely given that your run is covered. Yes they can get in small gaps in the top, but they have to get air born and fly back out and that is very difficult in a small run and the only egress is a small gap in the top netting.

Last edited:
The critters grilled are great meat for the chickens.
Payback.

If not a raccoon grabbing the bird through the fence, then a weasel can surely get through the chain link.
The raccoons always seem to go for the heat to kill the bird quickly.

Well I rebaited the trap with pork so hopefully that seems a little more appetizing. I will also look into getting some hand hold traps. I've really wanted some... Maybe they will be on my Christmas list ;) the electric fence box I found seems pretty straightforward to set up and I think I will do that. I just need to remind myself to turn it off before I go to open the door..

I generally just use peanut butter. Wad a small spoonful in a paper towel and toss that in the back. It's not that its any better than anything else, mainly that I always have peanut better available. It's also sort of a universal bait. There have been times I thought I was after a raccoon but it was actually a possum. I even caught a feral cat once with peanut butter.

Just for kicks I'll show this. I wired the bottom of the trap to a piece of plywood to stabilize it and built this box to set over it. The only way anything can get to the bait is through the front door.

Peanut butter has always worked the best when I have set traps for raccoons. I have caught some possums using that too. I put some meat in the trap and saw it was triggered but nothing was in it this morning. Turns our my dog wanted the pork and kept messing with the trap until it triggered and eventually he realized he wasn't getting the pork out.

I know I shouldn’t laugh but that struck me as funny. I know it is frustrating. You make plans, you do everything right, and life smacks you between the eyes.

Speaking of smacked between the eyes, I gotta go take a tire off and see what’s making that noise. And I had plans for the day. Maybe this will be quick.

Good luck with yours.

It's okay, I laughed a bit too. I wasn't too surprised to see all 27 pictures on my trailcam of the trap were from him.. He's a lab if that explained anything haha. Well he was sniffing around the perimeter a lot yesterday and today especially by that back corner. I wish chickens could talk and they could just share their side of the story!

I doubt this guy was the culprit, but he was waiting in my trap this morning. He is feral, and not very happy to be there.

I doubt this guy was the culprit, but he was waiting in my trap this morning. He is feral, and not very happy to be there.
Roughly this time last year a feral cat looking a lot like that got into my front porch birds pulling one down and tried to kill it. Birds where nearly grown games. No birds lost but they did get dinged up. Dog stopped this by nearly getting cat. Some cats are a lot more capable than we give them credit for, especially those that are multi-generational feral. Owing to the number of cats in my area, I am now treating them like any other wild predator that can be so legally treated, I shoot them. Bobcats and coyotes also put a dent in them but not as much as I would like near a group of homes nearby.

Back
Top Bottom