What will be the results

Ryder

Songster
Oct 16, 2018
Ozark Missouri
Im a person that likes hatching a variety of chicks not just one certain breed

I have a 1/2 French Cuckoo Maran and the other half is French Black Maran Rooster But he has cuckoo feather except his one black shiny curly feather on his tail.

I wanting to breed him with a French Wheaten Maran

But does anyone know what the results would be since the gentics will be

12.5% - Cuckoo Maran
12.5% - Black Maran
50% - Wheaten Maran

That's only 75% of a chicken.

EDT: Your rooster has the dominant genetics. He's got two copies of extended black, one from each side. That'll cover the wheaten coloration, so his chicks'll be black.
He also has a single copy of the barring gene. Since he's got both barred and non-barred genes, he'll pass one or the other to his offspring. Half'll be barred, and half won't.

So you'll have messy barred and black chickens, and from my experience with a similar cross, I'm predicting that the females will have red chests or necks, and the males will probably have red leakage in the shoulders.

Last edited:

EDT: Your rooster has the dominant genetics. He's got two copies of extended black, one from each side. That'll cover the wheaten coloration, so his chicks'll be black.
He also has a single copy of the barring gene. Since he's got both barred and non-barred genes, he'll pass one or the other to his offspring. Half'll be barred, and half won't.

So you'll have messy barred and black chickens, and from my experience with a similar cross, I'm predicting that the females will have red chests or necks, and the males will probably have red leakage in the shoulders.
what was your cross?

Gentics have spark an intrest in me lately I have a Ameraucana hen. If I breed her with the rooster that has half cuckoo and half black. What would be the hen chicks colors.
images

Back
Top Bottom