What will I get if I cross a......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by startingaflock, Dec 12, 2009.

1. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    I have a Partridge Chantecler Roo and I have the following hens: 1 partridge chantecler, 2 white americaunas and 2 dominiques (they look like barred rocks) and I'm just wondering what I will end up with if I hatch some of the eggs?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Anything you cross the dominiques to MIGHT turn out to be black sex links. Usually a red roo x barred hen = black sex links, but I crossed a partridge colored EE to a Barred rock hen and got sex links.

The offspring of the Ameraucanas will be EE (Easter Eggers) and will probably lay a lovely olive egg.

3. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Thanks. We are just in the process of collecting some materials to make a small incubator to try our hand at hatching. Hopefully sometime in the next couple of months we will have some babies!!! I also have another question though, how do you tell male from female when they are just born?

4. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    You become a vent sexer -- only takes about 20 years to get good at it. If they are sex-linked, that means different sexed babies have different colors, so you can tell at birth. The baby girls look like the dad -- for instance, a pure red rooster over a white hen will give you red girl babies and white boy babies. A pure red rooster over a barred rock hen will give you black girl babies and barred rock colored boy babies.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I mixed Black Giant Jersey Roo over Buff Orp's and this is what I got
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    different huh aleast 3 are roo's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by