What will I get if I use my Buff Orp roos over my White Orp hens?

I'm not a genetics expert but I would guess you would get a mix of all of the above--and they'd still lay brown eggs!
You'd have to know which genes are dominant in each & then use a punnit square to figure out the percentages of what you'd get.

All these were in the same hatch.
This one is all white and has the confirmation of a orpington
55471_image055.jpg

The other hen has a bit of gold on the neck feathers and is shaped more like a leghorn.
55471_image_l129.jpg

This is a earlier picture than the first one. I can get a current one tomorrow.
The next three are all males.
55471_image033.jpg

55471_image034.jpg

55471_image036.jpg

They lay a ecru almost white colored egg. You have to hold it next to a real white egg to tell the difference.

I then crossed the two hens back to a BO roo. I got two chicks the other 6 were BO chicks. Except for the fact I know they came from a almost white egg I can't tell the chicks apart. I'm hoping I can see some difference when they get older. They are only 4 wks. old. I wanted to improve the laying ability in my BO line. We'll see........
55471_imagebo078.jpg

Two wks old in this pic.

Last edited:
Alright, here's a little more info for clarity.

I sold all the white Orpington cockrels, and kept two buff Orp cockrels...then kept all the pullets of both colors (about 20).

Here are some pics from two wks ago:

Chickens201119.jpg

Chickens201116.jpg

Chickens201115.jpg

Chickens20114.jpg

Chickens20118.jpg

Chickens2011.jpg

I don't have any more of the white orpington pictures...I'm on my tablet, so I'm a little limited.

But will I just end up with some that are neither whit nor buff, or will all of them be either white or buff?

Last edited:
Ibier - I see what you did....nice!!

I picked these Orps because we have more eggs than we can handle! Seriously! We were getting 30 eggs a day at one point...so with these, I'm hoping for 1 -2 eggs/week per hen.... and NO MORE!! LOL!

I must have misread your post. I thought you crossed with white leghorn. OOPS !!!
hide.gif
All I can add is the white I crossed back to a buff look the same as the pure BO chicks. Maybe some of the genetic guru's can help us out. Anyone ????
idunno.gif

P.S. You have beautiful chickens.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
If you cross a Buff Orpington over a White Orpington and your White Orpington is Recessive White you should get,
Black offspring

If you cross a Buff Orpington over a White Orpington and your White Orpington is Dominate White you should get,
White to almost a Pyle pattern.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom