What will I get if I use my Buff Orp roos over my White Orp hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kelly G, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

What will I get if I use my Buff Orp roos over my White Orp hens?

I'm just wondering what I'll get? Some buff? Some white? A mottled mix?

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have done this. I'll try and find a couple of pics, give me a sec.

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I'm not a genetics expert but I would guess you would get a mix of all of the above--and they'd still lay brown eggs!
    You'd have to know which genes are dominant in each & then use a punnit square to figure out the percentages of what you'd get.

4. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:I would like to see the pics too!!!!

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

All these were in the same hatch.
    This one is all white and has the confirmation of a orpington
    [​IMG]
    The other hen has a bit of gold on the neck feathers and is shaped more like a leghorn.
    [​IMG]
    This is a earlier picture than the first one. I can get a current one tomorrow.
    The next three are all males.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They lay a ecru almost white colored egg. You have to hold it next to a real white egg to tell the difference.

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

I then crossed the two hens back to a BO roo. I got two chicks the other 6 were BO chicks. Except for the fact I know they came from a almost white egg I can't tell the chicks apart. I'm hoping I can see some difference when they get older. They are only 4 wks. old. I wanted to improve the laying ability in my BO line. We'll see........
    [​IMG]
    Two wks old in this pic.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  7. Kelly G

Alright, here's a little more info for clarity.

I sold all the white Orpington cockrels, and kept two buff Orp cockrels...then kept all the pullets of both colors (about 20).

Here are some pics from two wks ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have any more of the white orpington pictures...I'm on my tablet, so I'm a little limited.

But will I just end up with some that are neither whit nor buff, or will all of them be either white or buff?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  8. Kelly G

Ibier - I see what you did....nice!!

I picked these Orps because we have more eggs than we can handle! Seriously! We were getting 30 eggs a day at one point...so with these, I'm hoping for 1 -2 eggs/week per hen.... and NO MORE!! LOL!

9. FuzzyButtsFarm

I must have misread your post. I thought you crossed with white leghorn. OOPS !!! [​IMG] All I can add is the white I crossed back to a buff look the same as the pure BO chicks. Maybe some of the genetic guru's can help us out. Anyone ???? [​IMG]

P.S. You have beautiful chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you cross a Buff Orpington over a White Orpington and your White Orpington is Recessive White you should get,
    Black offspring

If you cross a Buff Orpington over a White Orpington and your White Orpington is Dominate White you should get,
    White to almost a Pyle pattern.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by