what will i get?

bluefeather2697

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
hi BYCers', my friend gave a a lemon hatch pullet, which happens to be a cockfighting breed, but their egglaying performance is not said to be poor, she's quite skinny at about 20 weeks and very active, aggressive and quick. i do not expect her to be a superb layer but will i be satisfied by her performance? 1 egg every 2 days is alright to me. but i dont know if game hens lay big eggs.

here she is.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

320861706.jpg

320861693.jpg

and here's her male counter part just for u to see.
big_smile.png

thumbnail.php

thanks!!
smile.png

I am looking and not finding a lot of information on the quantity of eggs they will produce. Pretty birds though.
Just not a lot of information on the breed and I am not familiar with them.

Generally not prolific layers - they are more inclined to lay a clutch of eggs and then go broody - as many as 3 or 4 times/season. One thing guaranteed, she will be an excellent setter and very protective mother.

Each hen is different, and that includes game breeds as well. She might not get over 5-6lbs. Typically a seasonal layer. From my experience, some hens lay 4 eggs a week and others 6-7 week. Yes, they tend to lay around 12 eggs and go broody, but some go broody on less or more eggs. To try to prevent a broody, pick up eggs daily. Sometimes a hen will go broody without any eggs. Nov.-July you should expect the eggs. Some lay in a shorter range, but tend to lay more. Egg size.....ranges, but tend to be around the size of medium store bought eggs. Color should be tinted, cream, or white. Even in game breeds, not all hens are good mothers or will go broody, but majority are and do. Do make sure if she goes broody (and if you want chicks) to separate her from other chickens, isolating her where see can't see the other birds has the best outcome.

Back
Top Bottom