What will it take?!

Often times this time of year, they just get to be looking like a rag tag bunch. Feathers are dull, and often times ragged. These feathers will shortly be lost, and with a molt, they will look fresh and pretty again.

Barebacks bother people much more than they do chickens. Some chickens tend to break feathers more easily, but if she is 4-5 years old, well you would know that by now. How does she act toward the rooster? If the birds are happy, following him around, letting him tidbit them, they like him. And that is good enough for me. I leave them be.

I would wait till the 3 month olds are laying before adding to the rooster. My young birds do grow up in the flock, with a rooster, but he just ignores them until they begin to lay, however, he is an older gentleman.

I think you might always have a problem with a few barebacks if you have a rooster, but a lot of these problems are going to cure themselves in about 6 months when he gets to be a year old, and your birds have gone through the molt and refeathered.

Mrs K

Often times this time of year, they just get to be looking like a rag tag bunch. Feathers are dull, and often times ragged. These feathers will shortly be lost, and with a molt, they will look fresh and pretty again.

Barebacks bother people much more than they do chickens. Some chickens tend to break feathers more easily, but if she is 4-5 years old, well you would know that by now. How does she act toward the rooster? If the birds are happy, following him around, letting him tidbit them, they like him. And that is good enough for me. I leave them be.

I would wait till the 3 month olds are laying before adding to the rooster. My young birds do grow up in the flock, with a rooster, but he just ignores them until they begin to lay, however, he is an older gentleman.

I think you might always have a problem with a few barebacks if you have a rooster, but a lot of these problems are going to cure themselves in about 6 months when he gets to be a year old, and your birds have gone through the molt and refeathered.

Mrs K
The hen in the original post LOVES any and all roosters.... I’m talking about squatting in front of him without him even doing the rooster dance.... The others are just normal hens, they don’t hate him but they dont LOVE him like she does...

?? But I see breeders and normal chicken keepers that have pairs, trios, etc I have 4 more hens but they are a bit to small
Not cockerels. Not for long and in good condition if they are cockerels.

It shouldn't be spurs causing the damage and I wouldn't keep a rooster I needed to despur.

Hey... some kinda good and bad advice given... but I CAN fight love... with a sharp knife if needed. :drool Separation is GOOD and useful tool. Without it I wouldn't have ANY roosters/cockerels around. And probably no Silkies either. ;)

Not cockerels. Not for long and in good condition if they are cockerels.

It shouldn't be spurs causing the damage and I wouldn't keep a rooster I needed to despur.

Hey... some kinda good and bad advice given... but I CAN fight love... with a sharp knife if needed. :drool Separation is GOOD and useful tool. Without it I would have ANY roosters/cockerels around. And probably no Silkies either. ;)
Okay, I get what red ranger was saying now... I just thought they meant in general my ratio was bad with either a cock or rooster! Thank you for clearing up! :D

But why is that hen so dadgum willing to let the rooster “spread his seed” all the time? (See post above)

Back
Top Bottom