What will they look like??

Sunflower4me

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2016
Beggs, Oklahoma
Hello BYC community! As I'm sure several others of you have, I recently went into my local tractor supply and came home with more than what I went in for...chicks! I was able to restrain myself, as I have an order of 20 already placed from a local hatchery expected to show up next week, but then they got in mixed bantams...and I couldn't stop myself. As they have rules in place that you have to buy a minimum of 6 chicks, I did just that... Once I got them home, I noticed that there was a tiny yellow one that wasn't looking too good...and sure enough he passed away a couple of days later after slowly deteriorating despite my best efforts to save him. I was left with 5 super healthy, happy chicks! Then, last night, I went back in to pick up some hay for the goats...and they'd gotten a new shipment of bantams and none of them looked liked the ones I already had...so I got 6 more. :)

So, I have 11 baby bantams and nine of them look different than each other. What do you think these guys will grow up to look like?

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

Last edited:
Quote:
1) Triple Stripe back - Non feathered legs 2) Light yellow - Non feathered legs 3) Two toned (gray body, tan head) - Feathered legs 4) Black body, white markings (I call him Penguin) - Non feathered legs 5) Yellow with black markings - Feathered legs 6) Grey (I call him Hawk) - Non feathered legs 7) Black with grey highlights - Feathered legs 8) Tan with brown stripe - Feathered legs 9) Brown with light brown wings - Non feathered legs I'm pretty happy with the assortment! I have two like number 4, and two like number 1. :)

Last edited:
Ok. At this age it's a little hard to tell, but here's what I think.

1 might be a Sebright. I'm not sure though. 3 & 5 are Belgian D'uccles. 7 might be a bantam Cochin. Do you know what they had available? That would help narrow it down. Also, posting pictures when they are older and it's easier to tell would be good. Standing side profile pics are best.
smile.png

Ok. At this age it's a little hard to tell, but here's what I think.

1 might be a Sebright. I'm not sure though. 3 & 5 are Belgian D'uccles. 7 might be a bantam Cochin. Do you know what they had available? That would help narrow it down. Also, posting pictures when they are older and it's easier to tell would be good. Standing side profile pics are best.
smile.png
Great, I'll remember that and take side profile pictures in a couple of weeks and we'll try to figure it out. I'm excited all the same, but this is fun watching them grow and change. Thank you! Look for updated pictures in a couple of weeks. :) They didn't post what they had available, but on their site it says "The Assorted Bantams are a variety of bantams that come unsexed only. This mixture can include Cochins, Rhode Island Red Bantams, and Mille Fluers." Of course, people have been getting silkies from there, as well...

Last edited:
That's perfectly okay with me that none of them are silkies, I bought silkies last year through a breeder so I have a main flock of them already. :) I didn't figure any of these guys were, since the only ones with black beaks are the "penguin" looking ones. I was just stating that while their site only says the mix contains those, people are finding other types of bantams at tsc as well. So it's really a mixed bag and will be a surprise.

That's perfectly okay with me that none of them are silkies, I bought silkies last year through a breeder so I have a main flock of them already. :) I didn't figure any of these guys were, since the only ones with black beaks are the "penguin" looking ones. I was just stating that while their site only says the mix contains those, people are finding other types of bantams at tsc as well. So it's really a mixed bag and will be a surprise.

Yeah, I understood.
smile.png
It looks like you have a very nice mix there, though!

Thank you!  I'll post some more pictures in a couple of weeks when they're a little older.  :)  I think they'll add some great color and variety to my flock.  What kind of chick is that in your avatar?  It's adorable!

Ok, great! That still might be a little young, but it should be easier to tell.

Thank you! That's one of my (very) mixed breeds, but could have been a black sex link pullet. :)

Back
Top Bottom