What will they make?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
Father: (Polish) (White eggs i think?)
IMG_20231009_163630196.jpg

Mothers: (Splash maran + Crele Penedesena) (Chocolate eggs)
6fb79489-2b3c-4dec-9635-28804791c402photo.jpeg
IMG_20231014_104719884.jpg

Wondering what the chicks may look like and what egg color will the hens lay?
I haven't hatched their eggs yet, they were originally in my layers pen but I'm obsessed with eggs and wanna hatch them so i put them with my polish rooster. I won't be hatching the eggs for awhile, too many chicks right now- But when I do I'll be curious what I'll get.

Father: (Polish) (White eggs i think?)
View attachment 3670728
Mothers: (Splash maran + Crele Penedesena) (Chocolate eggs)
View attachment 3670729View attachment 3670730
Wondering what the chicks may look like and what egg color will the hens lay?
I haven't hatched their eggs yet, they were originally in my layers pen but I'm obsessed with eggs and wanna hatch them so i put them with my polish rooster. I won't be hatching the eggs for awhile, too many chicks right now- But when I do I'll be curious what I'll get.

Chick appearance:
Probably crest and v-comb on all chicks.
The Splash Marans hen should produce blue and splash chicks.
The Crele Penedesenca hen should produce chicks with some pattern of gold & black or gold & blue, but I'm not sure exactly what pattern that will be. Sons should have white barring, daughters should not have white barring. (But since the "white barring" on the crele hen is hard to spot, it could be equally hard to see on her sons.)

Egg color of daughters:
You might get white or light cream eggs, or you might get medium brown eggs.
It depends on exactly what genes the Polish rooster is carrying, and how they interact with the genes from the hens. From what I've read, there are a number of genes that could be involved in making the Polish eggs white, and some of those genes behave differently than others.

Last edited:
Chick appearance:
Probably crest and v-comb on all chicks.
The Splash Marans hen should produce blue and splash chicks.
The Crele Penedesenca hen should produce chicks with some pattern of gold & black or gol & blue, but I'm not sure exactly what pattern that will be. Sons should have white barring, daughters should not have white barring. (But since the "white barring" on the crele hen is hard to spot, it could be equally hard to see on her sons.)

Egg color of daughters:
You might get white or light cream eggs, or you might get medium brown eggs.
It depends on exactly what genes the Polish rooster is carrying, and how they interact with the genes from the hens. From what I've read, there are a number of genes that could be involved in making the Polish eggs white, and some of those genes behave differently than others.
:goodpost:

@NatJ
So i ended up trying to hatch their eggs- (6 of each hen)
The Crele's eggs weren't fertile, none of the 6.
All 6 of the Splash Maran's however, were all fertile.
4 of the 6 survived until day 17-18, and for some reason quit after that, then 1 was alive last night, day 19. But this morning I checked on it again and it was dead.😭.
The final egg hatched this morning.
But, the odd thing is this chick doesn't appear polish at all. 🤔.
Looks to me to belong to my Blue Ameraucana rooster who i didn't think was mounting.
The splash maran hen was locked up with the polish 5-6 full days out the week, and 1 or 2 days out of the week I'd let her free range for a few hours. That would be the only times the blue ameraucana would have access to her, but again I didn't think he was mounting the girls at the time.
-
And if he was, what are the odds of him being the father of the eggs instead of the polish who had her the majority of the week? The polish did mount her, I've witnessed it several times.
-
Before i decided to lock her up with the polish, i had tested fertility in her eggs, they were not fertile by the ameraucana.
-
Now, is it possible all the eggs that failed to hatch belonged to the polish rooster? and maybe he had some internal sickness or something causing the chicks not to be strong enough? Not sure if it works like that. I just find it weird that the chicks didn't hatch.
-
Here's the mystery chick in question:
IMG_20231125_142900728.jpg
IMG_20231125_142954479.jpg
IMG_20231125_142939871.jpg

Looks to me to belong to my Blue Ameraucana rooster who i didn't think was mounting.
I would let it grow for a while before being sure of that, but I am inclined to agree with you about who the likely father is.

If the chick grows a crest on the head, you will know the father was the Polish.

But if the chick grows a beard (which it looks like it probably will), and the Ameraucana has a beard but the Polish does not, then that would definitely mean Ameraucana father (since I don't see any beard on the mother.)

No matter who the father was, it is a cute chick, but it definitely is a puzzle right now!

The splash maran hen was locked up with the polish 5-6 full days out the week, and 1 or 2 days out of the week I'd let her free range for a few hours. That would be the only times the blue ameraucana would have access to her, but again I didn't think he was mounting the girls at the time.
-
And if he was, what are the odds of him being the father of the eggs instead of the polish who had her the majority of the week? The polish did mount her, I've witnessed it several times.
-
Before i decided to lock her up with the polish, i had tested fertility in her eggs, they were not fertile by the ameraucana.
Maybe something changed, and the Ameraucana decided he was able to mate with her :idunno

I don't know what the odds are for him being the father rather than the Polish-- it would depend on how often each one mated with her, how fertile each one was, and I have read that hens have some ability to reject sperm so that might also be a factor (I haven't read enough about it to figure out all the details, but it appears hens do have some choice in the matter).

@NatJ
So i ended up trying to hatch their eggs- (6 of each hen)
The Crele's eggs weren't fertile, none of the 6.
All 6 of the Splash Maran's however, were all fertile.
4 of the 6 survived until day 17-18, and for some reason quit after that, then 1 was alive last night, day 19. But this morning I checked on it again and it was dead.😭.
Now, is it possible all the eggs that failed to hatch belonged to the polish rooster? and maybe he had some internal sickness or something causing the chicks not to be strong enough? Not sure if it works like that. I just find it weird that the chicks didn't hatch.
That could be possible. Did you open the eggs and look at the chicks? For the ones that made it to day 17 or later, you might be able to tell who the father was (for example, comb type or crest or beard).

I would let it grow for a while before being sure of that, but I am inclined to agree with you about who the likely father is.

If the chick grows a crest on the head, you will know the father was the Polish.

But if the chick grows a beard (which it looks like it probably will), and the Ameraucana has a beard but the Polish does not, then that would definitely mean Ameraucana father (since I don't see any beard on the mother.)

No matter who the father was, it is a cute chick, but it definitely is a puzzle right now!

Maybe something changed, and the Ameraucana decided he was able to mate with her :idunno

I don't know what the odds are for him being the father rather than the Polish-- it would depend on how often each one mated with her, how fertile each one was, and I have read that hens have some ability to reject sperm so that might also be a factor (I haven't read enough about it to figure out all the details, but it appears hens do have some choice in the matter).

That could be possible. Did you open the eggs and look at the chicks? For the ones that made it to day 17 or later, you might be able to tell who the father was (for example, comb type or crest or beard).
I'll keep an eye out on a crest starting to form.
Didn't think about opening the eggs up, just pulled them out to do just that though- The eggs which i had thought died around day 17/18 appear to have died a bit earlier. The one that was alive as of last night appeared to be another ameraucana. 🤔.
The polish might be slightly bearded, i see fluff behind those wattles of his.
Older more mature photo of his face.
IMG_20231112_081036979_HDR.jpg

Slightly younger less mature photo of face:
Screenshot_20231125-150914.png

Here's the ameraucana in all his glory ❤️
Also, my mom mentioned the other day that the ameraucana appears to have some brown showing up- Is he just sun bleached or could he be like a mauve or chocolate or something? Im unfamiliar with those colors so i don't know.
Screenshot_20231125-150809.png
Screenshot_20231125-150855.png

Last edited:
Didn't think about opening the eggs up, just pulled them out to do just that though- The eggs which i had thought died around day 17/18 appear to have died a bit earlier. The one that was alive as of last night appeared to be another ameraucana. 🤔.
Hmm. Definitely interesting.

I'll keep an eye out on a crest starting to form.
The polish might be slightly bearded, i see fluff behind those wattles of his.
Older more mature photo of his face.
View attachment 3691397
Slightly younger less mature photo of face:
View attachment 3691398
Yes, the Polish does have a beard. I see it pretty clearly in those photos.

So a bearded chick could come from either parent.
But a crested chick would still have to come from the Polish father.

Here's the ameraucana in all his glory ❤️
Also, my mom mentioned the other day that the ameraucana appears to have some brown showing up- Is he just sun bleached or could he be like a mauve or chocolate or something? Im unfamiliar with those colors so i don't know.
Unfortunately I don't know either about the brownish appearance.

I keep staring at the photo that shows the chick's comb, and I keep thinking it looks like a single comb (which doesn't match either rooster!)

I think I've seen pictures of chicks that had a single-comb parent and a v-comb parent, and ended up with combs that looked single in front and split in two at the back. So that is one possible explanation (if that is the case, it should become obvious when the chick grows older with a bigger comb.)

It's also possible for a pea comb chicken to carry the recessive gene for not-pea comb (so some of his chicks can have single combs.) So a single-comb chick could have come from the Ameraucana father.

And of course it is possible that I am wrong about what kind of comb I see in the picture. Tiny chick combs can be hard to distinguish sometimes.

So the comb type is currently not helping me figure that chick out!

Yes, the Polish does have a beard. I see it pretty clearly in those photos.

I keep staring at the photo that shows the chick's comb, and I keep thinking it looks like a single comb (which doesn't match either rooster!)

I think I've seen pictures of chicks that had a single-comb parent and a v-comb parent, and ended up with combs that looked single in front and split in two at the back. So that is one possible explanation (if that is the case, it should become obvious when the chick grows older with a bigger comb.)

It's also possible for a pea comb chicken to carry the recessive gene for not-pea comb (so some of his chicks can have single combs.) So a single-comb chick could have come from the Ameraucana father.

And of course it is possible that I am wrong about what kind of comb I see in the picture. Tiny chick combs can be hard to distinguish sometimes.

I've had a few chicks that look single at first glance when they're only a few days old. Their comb usually don't get as large period as the chicks that come out of the egg with a giant star smack in the middle of their face

Yes, he the Polish does have a beard. I see it pretty clearly in those photos.

The chick in the egg had what looked like a single comb also if that helps!
Also, maybe that's what im seeing on this chick about the split comb! I was trying to look at it and appears like it has what looks like a second comb growing from the main comb. It was kinda weird, i wasn't sure what i was looking at.😅.
Can't really see it on camera though unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom