What will they make?

The chick in the egg had what looked like a single comb also if that helps!
Also, maybe that's what im seeing on this chick about the split comb! I was trying to look at it and appears like it has what looks like a second comb growing from the main comb. It was kinda weird, i wasn't sure what i was looking at.😅.
Can't really see it on camera though unfortunately.
If it looks like a single comb with a second one growing from it, that may mean the Polish is the father after all :)

I probably should have thought to ask this sooner:
What makes you think the chick looks like the Ameraucana instead of the Polish?
I just think it's got major beard fluff, and even though the polish does have a beard it's just not fluffy enough to make me think he's the dad.
And this is silly, but the chick is also a fatty 😂, to me the polish is on the slimmer tall side, not fat and stubby.
And at first I thought the chick would definitely have a v-comb, so when i saw the single comb i just assumed the ameraucana was in there.
But now I'm not too sure. 🤔

I just think it's got major beard fluff, and even though the polish does have a beard it's just not fluffy enough to make me think he's the dad.
And this is silly, but the chick is also a fatty 😂, to me the polish is on the slimmer tall side, not fat and stubby.
And at first I thought the chick would definitely have a v-comb, so when i saw the single comb i just assumed the ameraucana was in there.
That makes sense. I don't have a definite answer to any of those points, because I see how each can seem to point to an Ameraucana father but each one could still happen in a chick from the Polish rooster. So I'm like you for now, not too sure either way.

That makes sense. I don't have a definite answer to any of those points, because I see how each can seem to point to an Ameraucana father but each one could still happen in a chick from the Polish rooster. So I'm like you for now, not too sure either way.
Oh and also the chick has a flat head, so that also made me think ameraucana.
And I've had easter eggers and ameraucanas in the past, this chick resembles them. 🤔.

You would be surprised just how many of my slim birds make chunker babies

Oh and also the chick has a flat head, so that also made me think ameraucana.
And I've had easter eggers and ameraucanas in the past, this chick resembles them. 🤔.
Some, especially if they only have one crested parent, chicks will not have a visible vault. They typically have a smaller crest. I have a half polish Bantam gal that I didntnjnow about until her little crest grew in. I thought for sure she was out of a different male

Chick appearance:
Probably crest and v-comb on all chicks.
The Splash Marans hen should produce blue and splash chicks.
The Crele Penedesenca hen should produce chicks with some pattern of gold & black or gold & blue, but I'm not sure exactly what pattern that will be. Sons should have white barring, daughters should not have white barring. (But since the "white barring" on the crele hen is hard to spot, it could be equally hard to see on her sons.)

Egg color of daughters:
You might get white or light cream eggs, or you might get medium brown eggs.
It depends on exactly what genes the Polish rooster is carrying, and how they interact with the genes from the hens. From what I've read, there are a number of genes that could be involved in making the Polish eggs white, and some of those genes behave differently than others.
@NatJ
Finally hatched from the Crele Penedesena- (Well actually the maran went broody and hatched it)
Got a chick who definitely must have some barring. (White dot on hear)
Is it a boy? not sure if the chicks are sexlinked at hatch. Also not sure of the father other than he was a blue. (Same case with the maran)
17034405161822821936544151369595.jpg
17034405520711248628482388079333.jpg

I have the polish roaming with the blue ameraucana now, polish is definitely dominant but the ameraucana does occasionally chase the hens occasionally.
The Crele Penedesena is usually with the polish however.
-
Also I gave hatching eggs from my maran to a friend, and they sent updates and the chicks she had had crests starting to form. At the time the maran was still locked up with him though.
The chick i was questioning you about before didn't make it, i have new ones that are just over a week old am perfectly healthy. Finally got a definite splash too. ✨
Here's two of them I took a few days after they hatched: (Splash included)
IMG_20231218_200422486.jpg
IMG_20231218_200536115.jpg
IMG_20231218_200709911.jpg

@NatJ
Finally hatched from the Crele Penedesena- (Well actually the maran went broody and hatched it)
Got a chick who definitely must have some barring. (White dot on hear)
Is it a boy? not sure if the chicks are sexlinked at hatch. Also not sure of the father other than he was a blue. (Same case with the maran)
If the mother is barred and the father is not, then a barred chick must be a male. So yes, the headspot would mean the chick is definitely male, if none of the possible fathers have barring.

Also I gave hatching eggs from my maran to a friend, and they sent updates and the chicks she had had crests starting to form. At the time the maran was still locked up with him though.
If the chicks have crests, and their mother does not, then the father must be crested.

The chick i was questioning you about before didn't make it, i have new ones that are just over a week old am perfectly healthy. Finally got a definite splash too.
I'm glad to hear that the current ones are doing well :)

Back
Top Bottom