What will they make?

Probably just a coincidence. I've seen photos from other flocks, where blues hatch in a variety of shades from very light to very dark, with just one rooster and a few hens.

Penny would be the crele-colored hen, right?
Yes, that chick would be a male.

As long as you are sure of the mother, then yes that one is female.

Yes, that would be normal: some blacks and some blues, and obviously some browns as well (based on the male chick.)

You say that's from the Maran. I didn't think she was barred.

But I think I see a light spot on the head of the blue chick. If neither parent has white barring, then none of their chicks should have barring.

Maybe it's just a trick of the lighting in that photo :idunno
Well the marans eggs are very different than Penny's- And they're my only chocolate layers. So probably just the lighting, but now you've got me wondering.
I'll be hatching more penny babies in the future just to hatch chicks and know who's a pullet now. Though that might depend on if I like what they make.

@NatJ
Calling to you again. So it didn't occur to me until i saw someone calling what I thought was a blue chick a blue splash. So is it possible some of my light blues are actually just blue splash? I thought blue splash was just a white bird with blue splashed all over instead of black but now I'm not sure.
The one chick that the maran has is lighter, could he/she be a blue splash? Also don't think it's barred like it looked to be in the last picture.
17038861545691403938899824668263.jpg
IMG_20231229_164804266.jpg
IMG_20231229_164721615.jpg
IMG_20231229_164538637_HDR.jpg

If so, then it would make sense- I do have splash, they're just not what I expected. But if not then I'm back to thinking why I keep getting blues.

@NatJ
Calling to you again. So it didn't occur to me until i saw someone calling what I thought was a blue chick a blue splash. So is it possible some of my light blues are actually just blue splash? I thought blue splash was just a white bird with blue splashed all over instead of black but now I'm not sure.
The one chick that the maran has is lighter, could he/she be a blue splash? Also don't think it's barred like it looked to be in the last picture.
View attachment 3714700View attachment 3714716View attachment 3714717View attachment 3714718
If so, then it would make sense- I do have splash, they're just not what I expected. But if not then I'm back to thinking why I keep getting blues.

I suppose some of the light "blues" might actually be splash. I don't have much direct experience with the black/blue/splash set of colors, so I didn't think much about whether you were correct in sorting blue from splash.

Hopefully the matter will become more clear as they grow.

I'm seeing some red coming in on one of the polish/maran chicks chest- Would it be a boy since the polish roo has the red leakage? Or can hens have red too?
It's seen on the other side too, just not as much.
17041386343942470206849662963676.jpg
17041387237931040539417169372115.jpg

One other chick has some red down on the muffs, but other than that the other blues are just blue.
17041390185206053315875198092301.jpg

I'm seeing some red coming in on one of the polish/maran chicks chest- Would it be a boy since the polish roo has the red leakage? Or can hens have red too?
It's seen on the other side too, just not as much.
View attachment 3716723View attachment 3716724
One other chick has some red down on the muffs, but other than that the other blues are just blue. View attachment 3716727
Males are more likely to get red in their shoulders, females are more likely to get it in their breast, but some males do get it in the breast as well.

At present, I would not count on that red telling anything about whether it's a male or a female.

Males are more likely to get red in their shoulders, females are more likely to get it in their breast, but some males do get it in the breast as well.

At present, I would not count on that red telling anything about whether it's a male or a female.
Looked at them this morning and now that one has feathers coming in red on on the neck as well.
None of the others chicks have red feathers growing in, this one's the odd ball haha.

Back
Top Bottom