What WON'T your chickens eat?

Pics
Strawberries, sometimes they don’t like blueberries. Otherwise just about anything. Iceberg lettuce wasn’t a favorite either.

Mine are not thrilled when I bring them sprouts. I have done alfalfa and then a mix of alfalfa, clover and radish. They pick at it, but in the end about a third of the sprouts are left over after an entire day. I figured they would be thrilled with sprouts, and an easy way for me to give them greens in the winter months. But nope.

Toads. I was surprised (and relieved because I love toads) that they don't go after toads, because of their similarity to frogs. There is a no-chicken (and duck) zone for our frog population. If they cross the fence, they will be immediately spotted and eaten, which turns into the chicken keep away game. In fact, my Speckled Sussex, Echo, finds the keep away game more fun than the treat itself. If no one notices she found something at first, she'll keep making a fuss over it until someone comes to check it out. Then she has fun running off with it lol.

I'm no longer surprised with what chickens will eat, mine have eaten (with great relish) the usual oddities, lizards, bees, drywall, Styrofoam etc... now, I'm surprised with what they refuse to eat!
Blueberries
Strawberries
Spinach
Green grapes (but red or purple are ok)
Bell peppers
And various other things I would consider to be A+ chicken chow.
They just stand in it and look disgusted.
What won't your chickens eat?
Mine LOVE blueberries and strawberries.

Today, for the first time ever, I had chickens turn their beaks up at dry cat food.:th I've had chickens that wouldnot stampede down to the dog bowl and share with the dog or sneak inside to get the cat food.

Back
Top Bottom