What woud you pay???

itsmechrissy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
SE Wisconsin
Hi... I've been making these mostly for gifts but folks keep telling me I should sell them so wondering if you saw them what would you be willing to pay to buy them?

Frogs: I've given these to my neices as gifts along with 'frog prince' book. They are about 3-4 inches tall.
84109_frogs.jpg

Peeps: The one is about 8 inches tall, I consider it a pitcher. The other is 4-5 inches tall and could be a pitcher or a mug.
84109_peep1.jpg

Penguins: similiar to the Peeps but different color; this one is about 7 inches tall.
84109_pottery_007.jpg

Wall Hanging: I have this by my fireplace with those long matches in it, you could put dried or fresh flowers in it.
84109_dsc01331.jpg

What do you think would people buy them?

Maybe start low and see how much demand there is. I'm not too sure on price as I'm in UK I would think £10-15 would be a good start for the frogs and book is that around $20-30?

I would be willing to pay $10-$20 for the mugs/pitchers and $25 for the long matchstick holder, because of its butterfly design.

If your selling it in a rich area, then add $5 to each price.

They are very cute. Not sure what to tell you to ask for them. I do know I was thinking of opening an Etsy store until I found out there ridiculous cost.
ep.gif
Charge you to put things in your store and to sell. I like the free sites or low cost sites to list my stuff. It just seems more pratical. By the time I pay the sites fees and paypal that already puts on damper on things and Etsy I feel like is very expensive to try and sell things on. Just my two cents. Not sure what anyone else thinks about the site.
idunno.gif

hide.gif

Very nice work though. Do you have your own pottery stove. I used to love to make them when I was in school.
thumbsup.gif

Lovely items! I really like the chick pitchers/mugs.

I don't find the Etsy fees to be very much at all. It's .20 cents to list an item and then they take 3.5% of a transaction fee once the item sells. Here's the Etsy article on fees. On top of that, you'll pay Paypal fees. Here's a Paypal quote: "PayPal fees mainly apply to sellers, who pay a 2.9% transaction fee on the total sale amount plus a $0.30 fee per transaction. If you're a business, see PayPal Merchant Fees for discounted rates and other pricing info."

If you factor how much you'd like to sell the item for and then add in the fees, you could make your money back that way.

I'd say $28 on the chick mug and $42 on the pitcher. I'd probably go $32 on the penguin mug. Have you had any issues with the tails breaking off? I think I'd do $48 on the matchstick holder... and then $52 on the frog/book combo. These are my rough opinions on Etsy prices. If these were going to go into a brick and mortar boutique, you could up the price considerably. Then again, they'll take more of a profit than would Etsy/Paypal in many cases (from my experiences) but it might be worthwhile to take some of your items to little shops.

How much do you have them priced out for now? Editing to add: You could always start off higher than you'd think they'd go for and see if you get any action. It's easier to lower your prices than it is to raise them later once they start selling.....

Last edited:
Thanks folks!!! Your thoughts give me some idea of what to do...knowing me I'll be thinking on it for a while.

Itsy, I used to put tails on the Peep/Chick pitchers /cups too and while I've not had any tails break but I did get some feedback that it made items less usable for fear of it breaking off. So I no longer put the tail on, I also sometimes do the tuft of colored (usually orange) feathers at the top like on the penguin photo for the peeps too, but only on pitchers, not mugs as it makes mugs hard to drink from.

Making these doesn't cost all that much in supplies, well the equipment wasn't cheap but I've already got that. So, it's mostly time, there are a lot of steps to making them.

Thanks again!

You could sell them here, too
And you just got your first sale!
I love those yellow peeps, they are going to be creamer pitchers
Could I get 2 of the smaller ones?
PM me, do you take paypal?
Thanks, Roberta

Back
Top Bottom