What would a SHAMO x ARAUCANA look like

oscars chooks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
just wondering what a cross between a shamo and a araucana look like? also what would a shamo crossed with a orpington look like? Thanks

Shamo x Araucana (the real, rumpless kind) I would assume would have a very upright body, either no tail or a horizontal tail, would keep the pea comb, the dewlap, some might have tufts depending on the Araucana parent, and would develop whatever color mix the parents have. Most Araucanas are duckwing based, most Shamos are Wheaten or Duckwing based, so the color will look like this -

5542063502_3f8b777ee6_z.jpg

^ Male on bottom, female on top

If my Shamo truly did fertilize my "feral" Araucana hen running around, I'll find out personally what the cross will look like in 19 days. Honestly I'm hoping for a different cross, but it is possible. She's been exposed to many different males because she chooses to go where she pleases.

Just found this thread......and I do have an O Shamo / Araucana cross chick (sort of)
My O Shamo/Brazilian stag was lonesome.....
I realized that once she was grown, this huge pullet was not pure Araucana. I eveidently had a chick slip through that was from the chocolate project pen (Araucana cock over hens that were chocolate (chocolate Orp/black Ameraucana cross). The pullets from the first cross to my Araucana project that were all black (no chocolate gene) were sold as mixed blue egg layers. The cockerels were all kept them culled to the best 3.

Anyway, this pullet is double tufted and rumpless and looked as much like the pure Araucana's that she fooled me till she was grown. She has white skin but some of my Araucana's have pale yellow so I just missed pulling her out. She grew into a fine looking pullet, large, very correct but having raised the Araucana's a few years, I could see things in feathering and head shape so I knew. SO, what to do with her? She was removed from the black Araucana pen before she was laying and put with my laced/pumpkin colored O Shamo stag who was all alone. They are producing fertile eggs and the first to hatch is black, longer neck, tailed. I'm expecting this cross to make black pullets and black with red leakage cockerels. Hoping they are tall and leggy and Shamo in type. We'll see. The pullet is a whopper and much larger in body than the cockerel. I will keep the most O Shamo looking/largest pullet or a couple or so to breed back to him and see if they are larger than the typical O Shamo. After hatching enough, I'll move the pullet to the chocolate Araucana project pen. She may not be chocolate but her type is very nice and she is Big. I have a nice but CF/Tailed chocolate cockerel waiting to mature to breed her to.

I'll post here when I have a few chicks to share.

Back
Top Bottom