What would be the best color?

So would a solid blue have less competition and still be easy to identify defects in color ?
Getting nice blues in Silkies is a challenge... Largely in part due to people not realizing that running black, blue, splash... basically fades the black and blue closer to each other washing them both out and making neither desirable... In my opinion and experience. Though all beginners are told you can run BBS together and still get pure... Isn't MY choice and diminishes quality.

When I first started with Silkies... I though my 3 ladies were black... until I got a black one. Then they were indistinguishable at hatch... while ALL my other breeds are clearly black or blue. I worked hard on getting nice blues and NOW they are discernible at hatch!

While Partridge is a fun color... I agree that solid is the easiest. No pink toes. Cuckoo is one of my favorites. Not sure if they accept lavender.

Basically I think white or black would be the easiest... as noted though, more competition. Good luck getting nice birds and showing! :fl

The APA accepted bearded self blue Silkies last year. The self blue/lavender debate is ever ongoing. But the APA does not recognize lavender is different than self blue, they consider them self blue. Genetically maybe it isn't but.... I'm getting off topic.

Getting nice blues in Silkies is a challenge... Largely in part due to people not realizing that running black, blue, splash... basically fades the black and blue closer to each other washing them both out and making neither desirable... In my opinion and experience. Though all beginners are told you can run BBS together and still get pure... Isn't MY choice and diminishes quality.

Whilst blue is liable to drift toward its parent colour, be it black or splash, black is not affected by this by any means as the blue gene is not present in a black bird. A mixed pen of BBS can run smoothly so long as the breeding is not blue to black generation after generation, or blue to splash likewise; this is what alters the depth of colour due to the fact that blue is the single-factor form of splash, so breeding back again and again will either enhance or diminish the effects of the gene accordingly.

I am unsure whether or not this applies to Silkies, or just solid feathered birds, but the main issue with breeding BBS in the same pen is that genetically every single bird needs to be pure for the lacing genes and melanin enhancers found in good laced blues. You can see whether or not the blues have them but not with black or splash; you have to know from their parentage that they do or don't, and breed accordingly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom